How to texture larger area?

For my game project, I have to model and texture the individual levels. However, I am wondering what is the best way to do this in the case of larger areas. An example is a large square that is mostly grass, but also has other parts such as a sidewalk.

While I could imagine the concept of trim sheets for the sidewalk and its border, the lawn itself should be tileable. I just don’t know how that should work.

I know very little about texturing and am wondering the best way to do it. Can anyone tell me what would be the best way to proceed in such a case?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hey, Mauschelbär

As far as I understand you, you want to paint your area by different colors based on specific areas: somewhere it should be green and somewhere else it should be brown.

It this case, the best way to do this is to use so-called ‘Texture Painting’ tool. If you’re an absolute beginner in this sphere, I’d recommend to watch this one video below:

It’ll help you to understand what I mean

As an another way out, you could easily assign a different material to each of the parts of your terrain. To do this, follow these steps:

1. First of all, assign a default material to your terrain;
  2. Click on your terrain and switch to an edit mode by pressing TAB;
  3. LMB, hold SHIFT and choose areas of your terrain where it should be a trail, then create an another material for it and assign it to it.

That’s it.

What kind of a method are you going to use - it’s up to you. Each of it has its advantages and disadvantages. You just need to figure out how that works and you’ll be fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or… just cut this into smaller pieces… something like this for example:

1 Like