How to transfer instanced collection to multiple objects at once?

Hi!

So, I understand the concept of instancing collections.

My question is now, when I have a several placeholder objects (simple cube), how could I link certain instanced collection to all of those selected placeholder meshes? Something like applying modifiers to all selected objects?

I want to be able to realize those instances and have hundreds of individual objects from just a few dozens of placeholders with already precise positioning and angles.

Object menu - apply - make instances real, separates the instances of a collection as separate linked copies.

I suppose I wasn’t clear. I know how to separate those instanced objects, that’s not a problem.

I’m trying to figure out, how can I “attach” instanced collection to already existing points/meshes/placeholders in the scene.

Here’s a quick demonstration - instanced collection in the middle is suppose to be transferred to 4 cubes on the left. So I can create not just 3 objects in the middle, but 12 on the left.

Does that makes sense?

Edit.: I figured it out now. When instanced collection was created, I added geonode with instanced collection to it. After just selected all placeholders (cubes) and then just realized instances. That did the trick without assigning that instanced collection individually to each cube. Which was my main goal here.

1 Like

Ok, let’s do something a little more complex now.

I’m looking at structure of objects tied together with empties, for game collisions.

With the same process, unfortunately, it all gets mixed up together, destroying the whole structure of empties and said collision meshes.

How could I overcome this? So upon realizing instances, the structure of empties, parents and children will stay composed correctly?

I figured this out. Tested on 3.5

Watch out for collection names! You need 4 collections for this transfer to work

placements - for referenced position/rotation/size
collection - where the duplicable hierarchy is, name of this one doesn’t matter
new_collection - where finalized duplicates will be located
temp_collection - only for the script to work with, but still required during the process

import bpy    

source_collection_name = "source_collection"
target_collection_name = "new_collection"
temp_collection_name = "temp_collection"

# Get the source and target collections by name
source_collection = bpy.data.collections.get(source_collection_name)
target_collection = bpy.data.collections.get(target_collection_name)  
temp_collection = bpy.data.collections.get(temp_collection_name)   

placements = bpy.data.collections["placements"]
new_collection = bpy.data.collections["new_collection"]
temp_collection = bpy.data.collections["temp_collection"]

for obj in placements.objects:

new_hierarchy = bpy.ops.object.duplicate_move_linked(OBJECT_OT_duplicate={"linked":True, "mode":'TRANSLATION'}, TRANSFORM_OT_translate={"value":(0, 0, 0), "orient_axis_ortho":'X', "orient_type":'GLOBAL', "orient_matrix":((100, 0, 0), (0, 0, 0), (0, 0, 0)), "orient_matrix_type":'GLOBAL', "constraint_axis":(False, False, False), "mirror":False, "use_proportional_edit":False, "proportional_edit_falloff":'SMOOTH', "proportional_size":1, "use_proportional_connected":False, "use_proportional_projected":False, "snap":False, "snap_elements":{'INCREMENT'}, "use_snap_project":False, "snap_target":'CLOSEST', "use_snap_self":True, "use_snap_edit":True, "use_snap_nonedit":True, "use_snap_selectable_only":False, "use_snap_to_same_target":False, "snap_face_nearest_steps":1, "snap_point":(0, 0, 0), "snap_align":False, "snap_normal":(0, 0, 0), "gpencil_strokes":False, "cursor_transform":False, "texture_space":False, "remove_on_cancel":False, "view2d_edge_pan":False, "release_confirm":False, "use_accurate":False, "use_automerge_and_split":False})

if source_collection and target_collection:
        # Loop through all objects in the source collection
        for obj in source_collection.objects:
            # Check if the object is selected and has no parent object
            if obj.select_get():
                # Remove the object from the source collection
                source_collection.objects.unlink(obj)
                # Add the object to the target collection
                target_collection.objects.link(obj)

placements_collection = bpy.data.collections['placements'].objects
new_collision_collection = bpy.data.collections['new_collection'].objects
temp_collection = bpy.data.collections['temp_collection'].objects

print('moving to temp collection')
for obj in new_collection.objects:
    if obj.parent is None:
        new_collection.objects.unlink(obj)
        temp_collection.objects.link(obj)

print('transfer of data + return')
for obj1, obj2 in zip(placements_collection, temp_collection):
        print('loop for objects ',obj1.name, obj2.name)
        obj2.location = obj1.location
        obj2.rotation_euler = obj1.rotation_euler
        obj2.scale = obj1.scale
        temp_collection.objects.unlink(obj2)
        new_collection.objects.link(obj2)