How to unwrap all Geo node meshes as a stacked UV Map?

Hiya,

Sorry if the title seems hard to understand, wasn’t really sure how to word this issue. Basically, I have a mesh that I am trying to attach a bunch of UV-unwrapped teeth onto.

The teeth

The mesh w/ teeth attached

When using geo nodes and “Realize instances”, the UV map for the base mesh dissapears which I have already solved w/ a script provided from another topic, but I’m not really sure how to handle all these teeth. It seems like kinda a hassle to do it manually. I just need all the teeth as one UV map that are all stacked. How can I handle this?

I’m not sure I understand…
When you Realize Instances you just get one single mesh (teeth and all)?

Then you convert the “map” attribute (which is now can be found in Object Data Properties > Attributes) back to UV map and voila.
Or am I misunderstanding something? :thinking: What does the script do exactly?

So to start, this is the base mesh unwrapped without the geo nodes applied

After using the “Realize instances” node for Geometry nodes and applying the Geo node modifier, the UV Map disappears.

But I use a script that gets around this bug and restores it.

But I guess this is all kinda irrelevant. What I really want is to get all the teeth as one single stacked UV Map (doesn’t matter if its on top of the base mesh since the teeth are going to be a separate material). This is for the purpose of putting it in a game engine. When I unwrap all the teeth right now, they’re all separate islands. I need them stacked.

This is ideally what the UVMap would look like, except for all of the teeth of course.

Hm… I feel like i still missing something.
After the Geonode modifier is applied, go to Object Data Properties > Attributes (it’s 3 tabs below UV maps). There you should find your map. Press little arrow, and convert to “UV Map”. It will be both original maps merged. No script should be needed at all :thinking:

1 Like

You’re completely right, thank you! I wasn’t even aware of the attribute section at all until now. Here’s a quick GIF if anyone needs this for the future. I think you need both the base mesh and the Geo Node mesh’s UV maps to be named the same.

https://gfycat.com/FrenchTornGelada

1 Like

Another issue I seem to have come across upon exporting is I think some weights are messed up or not being exported correctly. Anything I could be missing?

(Left is Source engine, right is Blender. You can see the base of the tentacle is not where it should be and some teeth are stretched)

It might be worth asking that question separately as it could be anything from incorrect weights, un-applied transforms, or export issues specific to Source :person_shrugging: It’s hard to say from looking at screenshot though.

1 Like