How to use a material in the extrude modifier

As per title, just wanna use a material, not a texture. Can’t use the cycles material displacement as I then need to perform boolean modifiers on the result.

Material is animated.

What “extrude modifier” there is no extrude modifier.

If you mean the displacement modifier, no, you can only use textures not materials, you can bake an image sequence, you should be able to use that as a texture for the displacement.

1 Like

I did mean displace modifier, thanks. I see what you’re saying, but why? why can’t you just use a material, it’s the same thing really.

No it is not the same. Materials are calculated by the render engine, images and image sequences (videos) are a given fact.

1 Like

But the material does end up with an object having a certain visual appearance. So in essence, that appearance can be thought of as it’s texture, just with lots of extra info that a visual texture wouldnt have.

AFTER it is calculated by the render engine.

1 Like

Displace modifier is an old modifier. It has less limitation than at time of its creation.
But its principle to work with a texture independent of a material did not change since its creation.
Most of old modifiers were allowing variations of their effect through an unique texture, a vertex group.

Since Geometry Nodes, you can create variations according to a lot more custom criteria.

Until now, recent Geometry Nodes is the only way to remove the limitation of having to use a texture independent of material for modifiers.
In Geometry Nodes, you can use same texture nodes as in Material Shading nodes.
You can set an extrusion, a displacement, restrained to a material index selection with Geometry Nodes.