How would you model a low exposure motion?

the above image is a person dancing, but in a low exposure. I can model the dancing motion and all, but i can’t think of a way of making that into a 3D model…

not for rendering, but for 3D printing. how would collapse all the motions into a single model?

I thought of copying and boolean many models, but they’re not smooth sweeping motions…

another example is this:

it’s a sculpture of a plane flying, but capturing all it’s sweeping motions…

thanks!!

This will be very hard to do…

Did a experiment using the feedback hack a while back for motion-streaks…

… it should be possible to do something similar in the Simulation branch using the Extrude Node… For every face get the delta and dot that with the normal and if it is negative then extrude to previous frame’s position… something like that - not sure how to add up the extrusions across multiple frames and how to deal with changes in faces where the motion path changes direction… Will require a lot of work and experimentation… but should be possible.

Sorry for unsatisfactory answer.

2 Likes

As @zeroskilz said, it’s quite tricky.
I’m not sure it’s possible given the actual tools , at least not in a simple way.
You can look for addons that do onion skinning. IIRC one generate copies of the mesh.

it should be possible to export an alembic and offset manually each frame ( duplicate the imported .abc and do the time offset)

Knowing a bit of python helps in these kind of situation.

Have fun !

2 Likes

If you manage to capture all frames of movement into a single frame, use new sdf volume nodes or volume cube node to convert them to volume, then to a mesh. Then you can sculpt it for motion trails effect. Blur node will help also.

edit: it is in 3.6 alpha build, you have to activate them from experimental section.

3 Likes

I’ve actually manually made copies of every frame already, but it’s still not sweeping, like the arms of the dancer Is still separate chunks. Im hoping to model this to make it in real life, so it has to be smooth surfaces…

I dunno if there’s a way to connect the peaks of the geometry against the motion…

Its quite simple to do something like the airplane with Geometry nodes. Using Instancing along a curve.
I assume the same could be done with each ‘frame’ of an animation. Hopefully one of the GeoNode experts can explain how.
If you scale the curve down to a single point, then use the idea @canerasln had of using a conversion to a volume and back to mesh again - you should be getting what you desire.

Hum, what’s the motion exactly ? can’t you retime it so you have smoother transition from one frame to another ?

And sure the troubles don’t stop there, you’ll need to do some boolean operation ( join) or to remesh everything.

Joining from one position to another is probably possible, in fact nothing here seems impossible , but you’ll probably need a bit of geo node skills and a bit of python on top of that.

I don’t see a simple way , easy to explain, but with 2/3 days of work you should probably be able to have something that works in many cases !

There is test using zeroskilz suggestion using simulation build to stretch geometry between time steps and the using SDF to turn it into smooth mesh like canerasln shown

Node setup using simulation build - https://builder.blender.org/download/experimental/archive/blender-3.6.0-alpha+geometry-nodes-simulation.6f56fee3bb33-windows.amd64-release.zip

6 Likes

Wow, amazing!

Not really my suggestion at all, so can’t take any credit :sweat_smile:

Struggling to make sense of your network - what are the Beta_Joins and Beta_surface objects?

4 Likes

Damn, nice, it would be fun to play with this setup.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s just dancing model was spit in two parts that I downloaded from Mixamo

Hiya,

sorry for the rudamentary question, this is the first time I’ve used geometry nodes since it was an alpha project, so I’m unsure what’s the solution:

it says that “geometry cannot be retrieved from the modifier object” and i’m unsure what that means…

i thought it was just how the model was rigged in the file i downloaded (with rigging modifier) so i downloaded a mixamo file, but am experiencing the same problem…

how could i resolve this? thanks a lot!!!

oh, also, you seem to have 2 photos of 2 node setups, i’m assuming they are just 2 node tree modifiers stacked on top of each other? and the complicated one takes the object frame by frame, and the simpler one blends them together?

thanks!!

The node setup was incorrect, you forgot to add Simulation Output at the end.

Here is empty file with the node tree.

sim empty.blend (1010.8 KB)

Open sim empty.blend file using simulation build, import you dancing model and select model inside node tree in Object Info, and just press play. Stop animation at any time you like and apply Geometry Nodes modifier.

And for remeshing, you will need use newest Blender 3.6 alpha build like canerasln shown

1 Like

damn, thankyou so so so much!!!

it looks epic, gotta start figuring out this geometry node fuss now!

from what i see, the most important is the dot product node where i get the sweeping motions from. But i’m still trying to wrap my head around the rest. it’s a very different world to material nodes…

thanks

1 Like

This is great for artistic expression! Like Picasso’s intention of showing a subject from all views simultaneously this shows action trough time all in one moment. It also looks cool. Many great abstract and semi-abstract sculptures could be make this way.

1 Like