Howto asign two colors to a face (front and back)?

Hallo elYsiun,

I am playing with blender for some time now but still doing noob stuff, like forget to make a second side to some bands wich should be red and white on the back :-?

It is a real complicated form (deco bands) with 1018 faces (low poly modeled, needs subsurf 2 for looking good).

Befor I copy it and past it together manualy (is there a script for making a second side?) I would like to hear if there is a trick for asigning the backside of a face a other color then the front?

Thanks, Dominik

well, if you mean exactly the same face, then I’d say it isn’t possible

however, if you do a shift+d, or extrude [edit mode], followed by an alt+s
[scale along normals] then assign a new material to those faces, you ought to be able to get the effect you want, but you’d add a little thickness to your object

I’m somewhat confused about what you want tho

he wants one side black, and one side white.

i think.

in that case, extrude it, outward just a tad, then assign the new material to it.

It’s not possible to assign 2 sides different materials but it would be handy if you could. I could see a lot of uses for it. Then again, I doubt it would offer much advantage over a solid object with a very small thickness.

I don’t know if it would render ok but you could just try duplicating the model. Then turn off double-sides and make the normals of the 2 models point in opposite directions.

I mean 1018 faces one side red the other white and yes I know it isn’t possible but maybe someone knows a hack to get around this limitation?

No go with extrude or scale, it is a way to complicated form

Oh

[scale along normals]
if i get it right this would actualy work, thanks a lot (if you ever visit Basel/Swiss I will spend you a drink) :smiley:

Thanks, Dominik

well, all i can think of is to assign a new material within the object

i just make the object and then sperate what i want to be another color but i wanna see if blender will allow us to select a face then we can have another object and color that or texture it how we want it…

Hey were kan I change my Profile?

The faq says:

How do I change my settings?
All your settings (if you are registered) are stored in the database. To alter them click the Profile link (generally shown at the top of pages but this may not be the case). This will allow you to change all your settings

I looked at the hole page but I seem to be blind :o

Thanks, Dominik

OMG off topic. click the “Home” button on the top of the screen, then on the right in the orange bar, there is a button that says profile.

THX

?OMG?

If you don’t know what OMG means, it means Oh My God.

finaly I understand the hole post *** syndrom stuff :smiley: