Howto get rid of textures?

As I did test and try, I end up with a lot of textures and materials that are not needed.
How do I remove these from the menu/list of textures and material so that they don’t stick to my objects?
I don’t seem to find that info in the resources…
Thanks in advance
yves

My understanding is that if a material/texture is created but not associated with an object then when the .blend file is saved, those “orphaned” materials and textures will NOT be saved in the .blend and will be “garbage collected”. To force an orphaned material/texture to stay in the .blend file you need to press the “F” button beside the material/object to create a fake user which will cause it to be saved.

So … my thinking is that unless they are consuming huge amounts of memory, just ignore them. If you want them to go away, save your work … close/new blender and then reopen your work and the orphaned parts will be gone.

Thanks Kolban
I seems that even when I save, they are back. What I am experiencing here is I have broken down a model in many parts and I tried to export each one individually so that I could rebuild the model out of separate parts to be able to texture them individually. But it seems that when I export to dxf or 3ds all the textures are exported as well… which is trange …
and when I import then I have duplicate of textures in my list with the oo1, oo2 etc…
thanks I will check if it is my fault when saving …

Aha … when I was talking about exporting, I was talking about saving a .blend file.and not exporting to a 3rd party format. When you save a .blend file then any orphaned textures/materials are not saved. If you export to other formats such as 3ds … I could imagine the exporter exporting everything. If you want a really clean export that contains only what you need then save your files as .blends. So … if you have a big model consider saving your master copy and then create duplicates which only contain the objects you want. When you save a .blend with orphaned materials, they will be removed but I could see an export and then re-import saving unused textures and brining them back in.