Human heads

I modeled a female head, then created the male version as a shape key. I’m mostly satisfied with them but I think the male one looks too feminine, especially around the mouth area. I’m open to critique on both of them.

Attachments

Here’s the male version.

Attachments

All in all they’re good for base meshes to start shoving around verts or sculpting. However, if you’re set on making a more masculine male head, proportions are key. Attached are three references for golden triangle “stuff.” They’re good basic guides to shape, position, and scale of facial features for men and women.

Attachments

GEN_HeadProportions.pdf (1.26 MB)

Thanks for the diagrams. I’ve updated the head based on them. I’m not sure if I made the head too big.

Attachments

The male head mesh looks much better, more masculine in features. The only recommendation I’d add in the corner of the jaw needs to come down some. The heel of the jaw bone needs to drop slightly below a horizontal line through the corner of the mouth.

Also add a full front shot.

There is something wonderfully androgynous about the heads you’re making. I seem to stumble into the opposite where heads become and stay male. In yours, I saw Star Trek’s, Data in your first attachments (weak lower lip/sunk in made it Data-like). I try to let a personality take over and just follow wherever it’s going. Are you trying to infuse some personality/character into your faces or create a catch-all from which to stamp out other faces?

I would suggest that the “ear-hole” be moved nearly dead center when viewing the profile and proportion the ear around it. It looks way too far back. That might kick the jaw corner down as FXR mentioned.

The head is looking like a male indeed!Eyes and mouse are the most feminine parts.

your eye.lashes are in unusual stylistic attire. A particle emitter would also work.

And its ears have slight rotational disfigurement.

Sorry about the wait, I had trouble sleeping which did a number on my productivity.

I’ve made adjustments to the heads. The jawline on the male has been lowered, and I’ve lengthened the female head (the third one) based on a reference image I found.

Interesting that you should say that, when I look at it, it reminds me of Kryten. What I’m aiming for is to create two base templates to use later.

When you mention moving the ear hole, do you mean vertically or horizontally?

The eyelashes are going to use an alpha channel, so I don’t see their shape as being too important. By rotational disfigurement, do you mean clockwise or counterclockwise?

Attachments

The male head, first pic looks very good now. The middle one, I’m uncertain about. The last one, the female head looks good. however the length of nose from brow to bottom of nose, seems over elongated in relation to the distance from bottom of nose to chin.

I attached some recommendations

Attachments

The first and second picture are the same model, it’s just that the second one is in perspective mode. Regarding the last one, I used a reference image for it. It might be the angle of the screen shot that make it look like that, here’s an orthographic view. I’ve filled out the lips a bit more, and I’m thinking of raising the forehead.

Attachments

It looks balanced in the orthographic. The head is good and now recognizably female. Also whatever perspective focal angle you have, I suggest increasing the angle.

Any suggestions for the eyes? I’m mostly satisfied with the rest of the model but I think the eyes look somewhat lifeless.

I’m no master sculpter or mesh guy. But I’m passing off some reference material which helped me some. This one is regarding the eyes. I think the eyes in the head mesh, at present, have a good “general” base mesh shape. But in order to gain a more realistic appearance to your eyes as well as other features to the head, you need more detail in your mesh. There are several ways to attack it.

• the multiresolution modifier ( a good option)
  • sculpting at a low level
  • dynotopo (but which will require a retopo later)
  • or … simply subdivide the mesh (in the mesh tools layout) Which is likely the best option. Although regardless of which way you elect to go, save your base mesh first.

Attached is pic reference for “drawing” a female eye. But it still pertains to 3d work.

A key point is the cornea, wherever the cornea is pointing that will define the high point of the opening. The upper lid drapes over the cornea as it projects from the eyeball, forming a “tent”

Attachments

there is quite some improvement, but the main is still missing… female and male have quite different skull shapes, and the bones dictate the forms on the surface, nothing of that shows in your sculpts… male have stronger eyebrow ridges and usualle quite pronounced cheekbones. the whole boney eye orbit is usually faintly visible on the surface on male heads, so try to get this in, and it will look much more male… another point, the forhesd on women is usually quite steep, almost vertical, while on men it slopes quickly backward… another important, on male the jaw is more angular, boxy on woman it is almost triangle shaped… and, the ears! the ears are bowl shaped and looking from top they almost do a 45 degree angle from the head. yours are almost parallel to the head, so grab and rotate them, you will see how. much this makes… hope this helps, i know, modeling human faces is quite hard, you have a good start… keep on,

Doris! Finally!! Some expert advice.

Thank you for the advice, I’ll get to it.

I’ve been pushing verts around trying to follow your advice, the trouble is that your paragraph is one big run on sentence which make it kind of difficult to understand.

Here’s the updates.

Attachments

oh, sorry, german way to talk… i will try better this time … so here the pieces again:

1. female and male have quite different skull shapes, and the bones dictate the forms on the surface

2. male have stronger eyebrow ridges

3. male have usually quite pronounced cheekbones.

4. the whole boney eye orbit is usually faintly visible on the surface on male heads

5. the forheasd on women is usually quite steep, almost vertical

6. forhead on men slopes quickly backward

7. on male the jaw is more angular and boxy

8. on woman jaw is almost triangle shaped.

9. the ears! the ears are bowl shaped

10. looking from top the ears almost do a 45 degree angle from the head.

now to your new work. it improved again.

a) i see you have rotated the ear a little, but it needs more. and make it more bowl shape, by moving the outer rim outwards.

b) good shappe of jaws is better, the heel of jaw needs be higher, it is on height of mouth line

c) the cheekbones are still not really visible, neither are thebony eye orbit… touch your own face, and feel how starting from the front side of cheek over the sides to the ear there is a bone, which makes the head widest at this line. try get this in your sculpts, by pulling out the edges sidewards.

d) male forhead is too vertical still.

e) male and female have same nose, make female more petit, male more pronounced

it is already good improvement, the female looks better, more convincing. it needs the ears better bowl shaped and articulated. but then could leave, if you wish.

and, it would help a lot if you take fotos from real persons to guide your sculpt. you do not need to attempt to create a true portrait. but it is easier to look at a foto, try match the cheekbone, say, than making a “generic” male head from imagination. the latter is a very hard thing to do, even if you can sculpt heads well… so, my advise, get fotos to work from!

i have tried to illustrate some of the points, i hope you not mind the draw over:

Here’s my update. I’ve been bouncing around from different projects, so my progress isn’t as complete as I would have prefered it to be.

Attachments