Human skull, need feedback

It’s my first fully-fledged attempt to sculpt a human skull, If you have some notes, i would really appreciate it. I have doubts about low jaw (it seems small to me, though i tried to save proportions) and glabella (it looks weird to me, no matter haw many times i reworked it). Naturally, this skull is amazingly bad overall, but this parts much more complicated for me. iI see these parts is bad, but i’m out of ideas how fix it.

1 Like

…so you may look for human skull reference images especially have a look at a top view… ( no drawings nor 3D modells… the real thing… and skulls aren’t spheres)… and additionally there are difference between male vs female and child vs. elder people…
And also: maybe show a side view… ??

1 Like

I don’t upload it because of forum rules

https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/16rqzrb/human_skull_need_feedback/

small hint: no need to make mutliple replies to me… just reply into the thread so anybody will see… (there is is a little difference between a reply to a person and a follow-up in the thread… sadly this is both named reply by the system…)
1 Like

Collect and closely study the references. I would not concern myself with things like differences between races/sexes/ages too much at this point - first get the average proportions.
The lower jaw is too small relative to the other features. Perhaps making it bigger will just make the whole skull too long, so maybe you’d need to raise/shrink nose and sockets. Also, from the side view the face is totally flat. Pull the cheekbones back. Consider the (fleshy) human face - you should be able to see an eye from sideview.

Disclaimer: this is not exactly what you might call an anatomically correct skulls, but I hope it illustrates rough proportions. The space between chin and nose is almost the same as between nose and eyebrows. Also, front plane of a cheekbone is at an angle to the profile.

5 Likes

Hi Maxim,
i also tried to sculpt a skull a couple years back and found the images on this site super usefull:
https://boneclones.com/product/human-male-european-skull-BC-107
Import them in your scene and use them as reference.

I kinda lack the anatomical knowledge to properly point out the problems but these are the things i noticed:

I would increase the distance between the eye sockets and change their hight a bit.
I would make the zygomatic (?) bone/arch thicker and lower the chin.

Also, bring out the frontal bone a little bit and make the nasal bone steeper. And the back of the skull is also a bit too high up.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks all of you for answers)

1 Like

yeah, the best path would probably be to look up reference images