Humans-B-Gone!, a scifi series about a world ruled by giant insects

Currently up to episode six! Per the title, Humans-B-Gone! is set in a world where giant insects (and arachnids) are the dominant lifeform, and humans are just pests. The main character is a giant praying mantis who works in pest control containing them.

All modeling work, animation and rendering are done in Blender. I use Krita for painting backgrounds, Audacity for sound work, and occasionally Cakewalk for music. Apart from Creative Commons photos (for the insect factoid segment at the end) and royalty free music, everything (including voices) is done by just me.

Some gifs from other episodes and shorts:
i2yezlt0tls81
s0fd4mt0tls81
GIF_ep-006_better-fly

Be sure to let me know what you think!

28 Likes

Very nice work, even more so that you’ve done everything yourself! I’d love to see the background process of the making, workflow, etc.

3 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

I’m honored, thank you so much!!!

I actually did a behind-the-scenes on how I did backgrounds in this post: https://humansbgone.tumblr.com/post/677922918990249984/this-is-content-for-humans-b-gone-a-sci-fi

For my Patreon, I’ll do renders of the scenes as I put them together. I did a livestream once recently of my animation process, but I didn’t record it. I should try releasing more material like that, maybe.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s an exciting read, every time I see this style done in 3D, my brain can’t see the 3D models, so a behind-the-scenes like this tells me that it actually makes sense. I enjoyed your way of explaining it, too!

1 Like

So glad to hear that, that’s exactly my goal!

1 Like

Great visual style! The concept itself reminds me of Gary Larson’s Far Side cartoons. Surreal, topsy-turvy worlds with a dark twist.

1 Like

I always loved the way he drew bugs as a kid!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

=D !!! Awesome!

1 Like

Bloody hell, I thought the spider in the third gif was on my monitor for a couple seconds, almost tried to swat it away.

I now know how my cat feel when trying to reach something trough the screen