I am an autistic animator and sometimes rigger, but is there anyone else that is also known for it?

What I mean is that, is there any known animators or riggers that are diagnosed with Autism spectrum disorder? I am one of those people, but I’m asking about this because I want to know if I’m one of the only ones here.

1 Like

There are a lot of autistic people on this forum, you’re in excellent company :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I do not animate, but I was diagnosed with Asperger’s at age 10 (back in the 1990’s). While it makes certain things like communication a little trickier for me, I will not seek a cure if it means a lower IQ and the removal of my creative abilities (I am the only one in my family who can really work with something like a DCC app without formal training).

4 Likes

Hi. I’m an animator and rigger. Though I do not have any diagnose, I’m familiar with plenty of Asperger’s traits descriptions. Around pre-school already, there were psychologic/social evidence I wasn’t like the ‘normal’ expectations for children.

It is plausible there exist correlations between whatever arts, Animation, Rigging, and autism spectrum disorder for example. A conjecture would be that, because Arts, Poetry, Fantasy, are things which often do require some profound degree of abstraction, and even self-abduction from material existence, it may just be natural, as a social pattern, that many real artists are actually ‘neuronal-diverse’ (including in the autism spectrum disorder). Still, I believe the artistic experience as a whole, is a human thing first of all; thus, it transcends neural diversity: I think this is one of the most valuable things about Art, because it can truly connect people in unique ways, wherever they come from (almost).

2 Likes

Same for me, but actually diagnosed in my 50s’ with Asperger’s high-functioning Artistic. For me, I just couldn’t ever understand why people could never see the way I see, or understand things as I did. A bit of a shock to find out it wasn’t everybody else but me who saw and understood differently than everyone else… :person_shrugging: :wink:

1 Like

Hi ! diagnosed or not, I feel many of us here are neuro-atypical to some extent. Please, make yourself at home.

Hadrien

3 Likes

I think nearly everyone is to a certain extent it is a question of degrees.

1 Like

I was diagnosed with PDDNOS.