I just got a GPS for the car!

I’m pretty bad with getting around even relatively close to my house, so I went ahead and bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 from Amazon.

I just got it in the mail today! :smiley: I took it on a test drive today on a VERY short route to work that I know very well (Only about 5 minutes from my house,) but I already like my shiny new tech toy.:cool: The route it wanted me to take at first was not what I normally used, but I took the first turn my way and it automatically updated in seconds to my normal route.:slight_smile: It even has the ‘text-to-speech’ feature, so it actually says street names and stuff instead of just ‘Turn left in 200 feet.’)

My only concern is that GPS units make cars a lot more likely to be broken into. I’ve done some research though, and I’m going to make sure that I always hide it in my glovebox when I park, as well as eliminating all signs of the windshield mount.

Anyway, just wanted to share the news about my new stuff!:smiley:

Of course, now Big Brother will know where you are at all times.

I think I’m kidding.

Cool :smiley: I guess that’s a relatively modern gps then? My dad has had one for years, which contained only your position and some (detailed) maps of streets etc, but no route-planner.

Anyway, if you have some free time, you should check out www.geocaching.com It’s a kind of hide-your-stuff-and-let-others-find-it-by-gps-game. My mom’s ‘addicted’ to it :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, over here a law was approved some time ago that every newly built car has to have GPS integrated with the car.

Almost every truck and government car has it and the number of stolen trucks dropped a lot! And it is hopped that this same effect is reflected with the cars.

I just got one as well. Except fo free, my uncle doesn’t use it so he let us(my family) use it. It’s worth like 250$! It’s pretty sweet though.

Nah. There’s a big difference between a GPS receiver and a GPS transmitter. Unless it is in there secretly, there is no way someone could track me by the device. Most cellphones contain GPS transmitters though, so they CAN be used to track the user.

Actually, they do both, but don’t worry, if the SHTF you won’t have a car anyways.

-Jimmy