I Lost My Body - Netflix film created with Blender

Not sure if this one got posted somewhere already yet or not. But there is an article talking about the process and using Blender. It’s cool to see Grease Pencil giving Blender a bit of an edge in certain studios.

Trailer:

10 Likes

netflix has decided that Italians can’t see this trailer? :face_with_monocle:

Try digging around and you’ll probably find one that works. The one on the article doesn’t work for me, but on YouTube it does. I don’t know why they make everything complicated.

hehe I had already done …
I landed on netflix south africa channel to see the trailer :joy:

stupid national restrictions.
probably even made by mistake.

2 Likes

Hi, it is on Netflix Germany even german synchronized.
Will watch today but not during breakfast. :slight_smile:

Cheers, mib

https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1200535165237256192

2 Likes

It’s really amazing what Antonio Vazquez and all the Grease Pencil staff have accomplished. This is really revolutionary and still with a lot of potential ahead.

3 Likes

I had the opportunity to briefly meet with Jérémy and apparently the 3D animation was very blocky, very simple - they wouldn’t spend time on properly weighting the objects because it was simply a base onto which they would draw (not the same teams though : 3D animation was done in La Réunion and the 2D “anim-over” was done in Lyon afaik). Apparently they would also project strokes on the character objects. Probably not for the outlines though because in my experience that’s wonky : one moment you’re drawing over the object, the next you’ve spilled a little over the background and your stroke is now spread across the entire scene… in either case GP layers would be parented (or weighted) to the 3D rig - I imagine that would be for any change in 3D to propagate to the 2D as well.

It’s a fantastic film, as well. Good writing.

Are you sure about that ? They explicitly said Netflix was only producer, and it wouldn’t be on there for exactly three years… maybe that was only for France, but that would be weird…

2 Likes

Hi and yes, checked a few minutes ago but I had to search for it.

Cheers, mib

1 Like

in the end I have seen better on netflix italy, and there is and it is already translated in Italian … so I assume that it is already so also for the other countries

2 Likes

Surely I must have been drunk that day, or maybe they changed plans in between then and now. In any case, it’s great !

I watched the film last night. What a lovely story, original and beautifully told. Definitely recommend everyone should watch this.

2 Likes

Another article about it on the Blender site.

1 Like

Just watched this over the weekend. Great film, very inspiring. I’ve seen a few articles saying that it could be an Oscar contender. What do you figure are its chances, especially given that it didn’t get nominated for Golden Globes animated category? Or did it not qualify for that for some reason?

Blender is in the credits and mentioned in many of the articles.

Beautiful to see this kind of Blender art on such a big platform. Always nice to see. This look like a really well produced, emotional piece. Kudos to Jeremy for creating this!

1 Like

A well deserved nomination. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes! This is amazing!

Just like Tangent they used an older version of Blender but 2.8x opens awhole new door of possibilities.
I can’t wait for more flims in the style of I lost my Body & Klaus.
Congrats to the whole team for the Oscar nomination.