I made an energy drink can that is as photo realistic as possible. How can I make it better?

Hello!
(WIP) I took inspiration from the brands Bang, Ghost and Rockstar.

Aside from 3d modeling, I just added basic materials and gradient lighting. I would like to know; what do I need to work on the most to make the render less cartoony?

1 Like

Looks fantastic. I think it would look better with some codensation on the outside of the can for extra realism and while the studio lighting looks good, I think it would be worth throwing an HDRI into the environment texture for more natural lighting. And maybe think of what environment you want around it. Maybe placing it ontop of a cooler with a pool of condensation around it? Just an idea. :grinning:

Those are great ideas!

I was going for a Simplistic/E-Commerce feel to it though. Because of that, I used studio lighting instead of an HDRI. But you are right, it should probably have at least Some extra details to make it more appealing. :+1:

1 Like

Poly Haven has a wide variety of studio HDRIs as well, (just in case you want to check those out) :wink:

Oh yeah, most definitely. I even have the Blender Kit Addon installed. I just wanted to try something different at the time.

1 Like

You could light it in a more interesting way. Try searching the web for inspiration to see how products are lit. You could try traditional way of lighting it with main strongest light slightly from one side, fill light just so there is no dark shadow and rim light so it makes the contour on the unlit side bright. You are sort of doing that already, but it could be less subtle. I don’t see a lot of cans lit in very fancy ways in advertisements, but:

It’s still nothing too fancy, because you just cannot do much here :smiley: …well besides adding, fog, water droplets and ice.

Some background or at least a surface for it to be standing on(a shadow basically), might make it look more realistic. If that is appropriate for the purpose.

I am also personally more used to soda cans being more reflective. This would mean you would need an environment for it to reflect, like mentioned HDRI image. But this of course depends on the product. I am sure there are completely matte cans out there as well.

Else than that, I think this already is quite a usual look for a can. They do look exactly like that in many advertisements and it may be that there is not much to add. It is just a simple subject.

3 Likes

“Raspberry” has a missing B and an extraneous H, you wouldn’t see typos on an actual photo of a product

1 Like

Ah crud, I didn’t see that. I’ll keep that in mind for my final draft.

1 Like