diffuse
Displace

normal
Normal
specular

Specular

colusion

colusion

I have a ways to go on understanding how cycles looks at these. I am working on a script for Photoshop and these files were automatically created. Actually this texture is from a current post about UV unwraps. I am using that PBR extreem Addon as an example for my node setup. Hopefully I can figure out how to make this work with the addon so I do not have to manually plug each file in. So far the only way I can think of to do is to fool it and highjack file names. But that is not the right way. I have much to learn about all of this. I studied that cycles manual a year ago - its a bit tough to understand. Then we have this E-cycles. Its supposed to render faster. A pricey addon. I need to do some research on each one of these to find out more how the work and what they do. On these I mimicked examples from known working textures.

That displace will change the size of your mesh. Specular gives highlights and the normal map seams to darken the shadows.

Displace definatly changes the mesh. I have read that normal map will change the mesh but i do not see that happening here. It darkens the shadows but it does not change the shape of the mesh. THe normal map gave it more contrast. Displace made ridges show up. I am not seeing what the difference would be between using a higher contrasting image vers a normal map. The textures in the pictures above are not the ones i generated. its good to know that a displace map will cause ridges to show up.

A normal map only changes the calculated normal from its geometric normal. Imagine holding a flat mirror in front of you. A change in the R value (from untouched 0.5) rotates the mirror around one axis. A change in the G value (from untouched 0.5) rotates the mirror around the other axis. However, although the mirror remains perfectly flat, the ray calculations (what it reflects i.e.) will change. So a normal map will not change the mesh.

A height map can be used as a bump map or as a displacement map, although typically displacement maps are usually smoothed and carry less detail. Use them only for significant changes in elevation, and only where it is absolutely required because of the memory requirements. Use bump (gets translated into changes to normals by the engine) for anything else unless you’re using normal maps.

In the case of wood, I would not use displacement for the tiny changes grain implies. I might use it to displace a mesh into a certain shape that has nothing to do with material. But for bricks, where shadow play can become important, I might consider it to raise the bricks out of the mortar and use bump/normal mapping for the tiny details.

And never save out textures you want to use as jpg. Use png or something other lossless.

I’m not sure about the “PBR” or these textures. Specular should affect the deep cracks only, and I can’t see the roughness map (where the knots would be nearly full white). AO map so blurred just seem pointless, as you cant’ really use it as a specular modifier.

1 Like