I make a AK-47 please give me advice

Hi i am new in Blender this is not my first Render.

Material is from poliigon, i adjust the gamma and normal maps.

Please give me advice and tips.

Thanks WolfpathX

1 Like

Hi i dont know mutch about rendering, but maybe if you make it look more dirty or used, make it look more real.

hi in the beginning i have the idea, but i want it clean.
Some scratch would look nice. thanks for the critics

1 Like

Right off the bat…most of your metals look like they are cast aluminum. I would either remove the roughness map or if you are using principled shader and the map…disconnect it and lower your roughness slider to get a more polished look and lower your normal map if you have one. Also needs to be a gunmetal color which on your base color go with a real dark blue.

The receiver area with the gritty black texture looks great! I would see if you could get a normal map for your wood grain, that would add a lot to it.

2 Likes

Great start! I would tone the bump/roughness on the metal down a lot, guns are just not that rough. Work on making the hard shapes more defined, it looks like you have used subsurface modifiers which give it a very rounded appearance and can be difficult to control in blender. I would look into bevel weights for the bevel modifier (in edit mode>>edge settings) and the bevel hotkey for hardsurface modeling (CTRL-B). It also looks like the proportions of the gun are off in certain areas using a side view of an AK-47 in blender could fix that. keep up the work!

2 Likes

Hi thank you,

I fix this

I reduce the bump and make it darker and i scale the bump. i never notice that is to much.
Thank you for the tip i dont know with the bevel.

I use a preference.

Thank you for your help you help me a lot

Sweet, It’s looking much better! I made a little .gif so you can see what I mean:
beveltutorial
Basically you can control the amount of bevel non-destructively with the weight modifiers.

I’m not sure I would recommend doing this to your current model, usually it’s something you would have to start from the beginning, as it requires a very clean mesh. I do this for my hard surface modeling projects, as it’s a non-destructive way to create a hi-res micro-bevel, that I can quickly turn off for a lowpoly mesh to bake with. I’m currently using it to make a mech model:

These micro-bevels help a lot for lighting it realistically as the light catches on the edges.

Hopefully that helps, awesome work so far!

5 Likes

Thanks i dont know this and i test it it looks cool.

After improvments you have good textures, but this AK model looks kinda fun, I think that you should try to play with scale of for example magazine for more realistic looking, try to make scale of the gun just as the references shows, if you do this, it will be nice looking model of the popular automatic rifle :smiley:

1 Like

textures are looking good now, but some part of the model are kinda disproportioned .

1 Like