I need advice on how to make the most practical advance rig I can

So I been doing basic rigging for a while, but I still consider myself a novice how I have started to find that the basic rigs I do are too cumbersome and annoying. And I want to make more advanced ones with more controls and bone shapes.
Here is an example I the kind of thing I am thinking of. Maybe not that complex but the general area.

I know it sounds counterintuitive when I say simple rigs are cumbersome and annoying. But it’s because I have slight Autism. So we like things organized, predictable, and a little rigid. It’s why so many of us love model trains and legos.
Anyway, if you guys could give me a link to a youtube video in the ballpark of what I am asking for, that would be a big help. I don’t know what I am looking for, and tons of videos so they are about advanced rigging, and I find it to be basic with my current understanding standing of the process.

I don’t know that there is just one video, or even a series of videos, for this. Professional riggers take years to hone their craft- some even go to school and get a degree in it.

That said, I would highly recommend P2 Design Academy’s Art of Effective Rigging in Blender (Google it) course and Dikko’s Blender rigging course (on YouTube)

1 Like

Thanks again. Though if anyone else has suggestions, I would appreciate them too.

1 Like

Especially rigs are done differntly for the different use cases… you may imagine that a game rig is different than for example something done in the newest Avatar movie…

It also may be “logical” to recreate the real bones and muscle movement according to fat and skin… but this is very very extensive… (and almost every real life research done in this area looks creepy… except if it is done by FX people… because they just want to make it look like real… :wink: )

You may look at “good old 2D animated cartoon” and see: they do look believable… even if you look in slow motion the characters “do” the strangest things…

The trouble is ( like for some other tasks too):

You have to know what you have to do with the rig… to know what your rig has to be do like.

( Or something like this… no native english speaker me am i… ← yes… this was intentional :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

And this only can be done with experience…

3 Likes

If by Bone Shapes you mean Custom Shapes / Widgets, then this is fairly simple to develop, although not always easy —requires some designing skills, references of other artists’ Custom Shapes, and naturally learning some techniques for achieving these.
Custom Shapes can be a very stylized thing; recently, I’ve adopted the notion of making (most of them) not as just Wires (Edges only), but with Faces.

Apparently, you’re still not using the Bone Groups feature for Colors, so here is a quick tip:

This tutorial is very basic and has got 2 parts; the cool thing is that it presents quite original Custom Shapes according to the shapes of the 3D Character Design; although I believe all those Custom Shapes are still all Wire-like stuff.

This is not a very clean picture, but here is a quick example of what I’m working on, making some Non-Wired Custom Shapes:

The other thing I think every 3D Rigger should know as soon as possible, is that the conventional Skinning algorithms that we have access to in software like Blender, are actually pretty ‘unnatural’ for the development of good Organic Rigging; they generate tons of Artifacts especially on Deform Bone Rotations; theoretically, all these could be avoided, if we had, first of all, a modern, consistent with organic and sculptural shapes-in-motion, Skinning algorithm. Because we do not have this currenlty it seems, what we have to deal, in order to make good Organic Rigging on 3D Characters, is to create extra Rig systems inside the Skeletons just to correct the Artifacts that will mostly likely occur, this when not having to use alternative, external solutions from outside the Amature Object (such as Object Modifiers). In practice, this means that the Rig we’re making will not be ‘clean’ nor practical in many of its features; instead, it would become relatively counter-intuitive, with the sole purpose of fixing unwanted output from the Skinning algorithms —which fundamentally determine how Weight Paint Deforms the Mesh as the Deform Bones Transforms. This means that we can try to have a very organized Skeleton; but it will be to no avail in terms of quality of Organic Rigging Deformations, if we do not develop altogether the more Advanced solutions (which could be simplified to a certain level still). And for developing such ideal simplicity, one cannot just Rig as one Models; one needs to learn some theoretical bits of Skinning for Organic Rigging in CG software; and once one gets the notions of when, how, maybe even why things happen, then it is possible to come up with inventive, cleaner solutions to older problems (even without a modern Skinning algorithm). If these aspects of Rigging interests you, check my tutorial, I mean a few documentations (academic works) which helped me figuring out how to make this ‘simpler’ as well as effective —after half-a-year of struggle without knowing why the Mesh never responded to my Rigs in the way I was ideally expecting. I just needed some basic theoretical input: to understand a bit more about what was making Organic Rigging so difficult in Blender (and it could be said in other CG softwares as well, because most, if not all, share the same conventional Skinning algorithms); of course, it would be much better if I were myself a mathematician, then I could read the Skinning algorithms… and possibly, if not rewrite a better Skinning algorithm myself, would at least be able to develop a mathematical algorithm Rig system in Blender that would automatically counter the bad output Artifacts (instead of making it manually like we do on the alternative solutions).

1 Like

Thanks so much pyx-Gnomes; that’s exactly what I was looking for. Just one question. In the screen cap you have of that rig, how do make it, so the bone shapes are two-dimensional instead of just lines of vertices? I can make my shapes to have more than just one edge, but I can’t figure of how to make them a @d shape that has filling between the lines and color on that.

1 Like

You’re welcome; glad that helped.

Well, this is because you’re probably just using Empty Objects for the Custom Shapes; but you can use normal Mesh Objects instead and Edit them—this gives much more versatility. Then, you just need to Fill (F) or Extrude (E) Faces; work towards making Faces in such Mesh Objects, not simply Edges and Vertices. However, the Custom Shapes will only show Filled, if we look them from the Positive Normal of their Faces (if required, Flip, Recalculate Normals Outside/Inside Operations, can change the Faces’ Normals direction; of course, this is to be worked on on Edit Mode for such Mesh Objects). If we look Custom Shapes’ Faces from behind, they will appear like Wire anyways — unless they are something like Cube models. There is also an Wire Option you need to have Unchecked at the Custom Shapes Panel for the Bone —and remember you can batch Check/Uncheck such kind of Option with Hold Alt+LMB-Click, for All the Bones in the Selection.

1 Like