I need help getting a mesh cut close to a texture

I’m rather new to blender, and am currently making a VRChat avatar in Blender using Vroid as its base. (I would ask on the VRChat forums, but I feel like this is a more blender-centered question. )

I have this texture that has some transparent portions that I’d like to get rid of so it doesn’t appear black when I use shaders in Unity, but unfortunately using the Knife tool completely distorts the blendshapes when set to 1.

Here’s what I’m working with. You may have to zoom in, I just made an account for this question specifically.

Would appreciate any help! So sorry if I DO actually need to post this in a VRchat forum.

Hi,

Have you tried to fill those empty faces by pressing F key while in the Edit Mode?

Hi

That’s actually a Unity question ! Since the transparency shows black, my guess would be that your shader isn’t set correctly.

You do not mention the shader you are using, but i’ll guess it’s VRM/MToon.

I’m not sure what kind of transparency you want, you either need to set the rendering type to cutout
2023-08-29_08-26

or set it to transparent and lower the Lit Color Alpha

I have! Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to fix the problem. I appreciate it though!

Thank you for your help but unfortunately my shader is a mobile shader, so I can’t edit the Rendering Type. ):

Update! I found a solution. Thank you to those who suggested!

1 Like

Please post your solution so people having the same problem are able to fix it . Thank you

Yeah, of course! What I did was just within the UV editing mode, I’d get the polygons using the transform tool as close to the pixels as possible, deleting some as well of course. It may still look a bit wonky in unity when exported as FBX, but for most avatars it should be relatively hidden! (Just not so much on mine, heh.)

1 Like