I need your advice...

Hi :slight_smile:

I need a little advice from u. Well, recenty I want to buy a workstation that allows me to work with Blender but also with Unreal Engine.
But I’m not quite sure what configuration should I use. So I was googling, reading and so on and so on and now I’m very confused…
So I decided to ask u guys for maybe some help.
What u think, is it better to choose something like that :

2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 6c/12t (2400MHz / Turbo 3200MHz)
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DDR5;

Or maybe :

Intel Core i7 6800K 6 Core 12HT @ 4Ghz
ASUS GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 STRIX;

What is your opinion? Or maybe you have some other ideas? Please let me know :slight_smile:

Just do some back-of-the-envelope calculations (ignoring memory bandwidth/latency):

2x Xeon E5-2620: 2x62400 = 28800
1x i7 6800K: 6
4000 = 24000

The Xeons will perform at most 20% better (28800/24000) on multithreaded applications (like Cycles).

The i7 will perform about 25% better (4000/3200) on single-threaded applications.

A lot of applications (including Blender) are single-threaded on many operations. For a workstation, I would prefer the 25% improvement on single-threaded performance over a 20% improvement for multi-threaded performance, assuming equal hardware cost for either.

For the GPU, my gut feeling tells me that the GTX 1070 would have better price/performance than either the GTX1060 or the GTX 1080, but I haven’t checked actual benchmarks.

As BeerBaron stated i7 today are fantastic chips now.

Xeon CPUs in contrast to i7 however are workstation grade and you can see that specifically when
looking at the memory access and speed they support.

In my line of work we rather work with XEONS because of the data amount however in Blender I agree
with BeerBaron that the i7 might be sufficient, cheaper, and for single threads better.

The Xeon also have less clock speed compared to the i7.

And for rendering - well there is the GPU.

I second that. If rendering is going to be done on the GPU I would even go with 4 core i7 processor something like 6700K and overclock it. The single-threaded operations are most definitely going to be a problem on a 12 core machine and the multi-threaded ones… I don’t care if its really fast or if it’s super extra fast - milliseconds don’t make any difference to me when working. Then if it saves any money, I would consider buying a second GTX 1080 for faster rendering because that’s not milliseconds any more that’s days we are talking about. I would not spend a fortune on a huge fast disk as well. I have been working on workstations with small SSD RAIDs and cheep slow and large hard drives for storage of the finished projects. It works great and it’s cheaper. I think SSD RAID is a good idea - its often even cheaper to buy two SSDs to make the same capacity of one larger one, so the result is cheaper as well as faster.

Thank you for all replies :slight_smile: You helped me a lot :slight_smile: 2x GTX 1080 and i7 that’s what I need.

Once again, Thank you so much :slight_smile: