I received a death threat today

Well, I can think of a few but one egregious example that comes to mind first was some guy threatening to shoot up the Pokémon Worlds Finals in Boston online and they caught him with guns the day of.

2 Likes

It is one thing to disagree, and passionately disagree, but we do need to draw the line at name calling. Even if they deserve the name it still degrades the person who deigned to call them that.

1 Like

tell me how many such executions happened in other parts of the world
you gotta clean your own house first, that’s all that is to it

This is a unacceptable behaviour.
But the new Forum is really a pain of use for me.
This ajax reloadings makes me crazy really

1 Like

The way I see it is that when you are online you are almost completely anonymous. So you can say pretty much anything you want without it affecting you physically. Thus, some people will send death threats to others when they get particularly angry. I don’t think most of them really mean it, they are just saying the worst thing that they can think of that they normally couldn’t say to a person’s face.

1 Like

…I notice you use the expression “the way I see it” or “I don’t see” and that concerns me, I don’t know you, and quite frankly I don’t trust you or your judgement and don’t take that personal because I don’t trust the judgement of anyone but me, as I tend to be the only person I know that has my best interest at heart. But with that being said quite frankly the concept of being anonymous on the internet is more or less a fairy tail anymore. People have ways of knowing who others are, we all give little tell-tale signs away on a regular basis? I mean shit this is an art site who who knows…maybe I could reverse image search a submission and find someones linkedin? ((happened to me, seriously we have some fucked up people here, but the admins when I emailed them about it told me to fuck off for the most part))

1 Like

True, but real or not, the idea of anonymity on the internet makes people a lot more willing to say things that they normally wouldn’t say if a person were standing right in front of them. And there is definitely a lot of crazy people who are more than willing to do what it takes to find out who you really are and where you live, and those people should definitely be avoided.

2 Likes

it’s not the same
if you look at the comment WARNING: Contains indirect threat of violence

He said he’d be a “pro school shooter” and it wasn’t clear whether it was a joke or not

The one sent to OP was obviously a joke but, hey whatever, different culture, different interpretations, I guess.

And all of this is why you feel it is a non-issue that people issue death threats? Alrighty then!
I don’t know what to say about this.

“we”? why are you lumping all the users in the reply? It was one person, him/her, not us. Don’t lump all of your users in ‘I thought we were better’ statement.

I did not come across a culture where it is acceptable or even funny to send a death threat to a person you don’t know within a heated discussion. It does not matter how it was meant or if anyone was actually in danger. This is simply not acceptable! We are not talking about any kind of gray area!

I never said that sending people death threats was a non-issue, I was merely saying that people were overacting to the whole situation.

2 Likes

I would have thought changing the platform would have been met with ‘oohs and aahs’.

Of course it IS culture - you are on the interwebs now.

edit: and of course I buggered it up…
Anyhow, I’m told it was a post not a creepy private message - making the sender a public shit disturber.

1 Like

I’m honestly having trouble understanding what you are saying, your statements seem to be open ended and amorphous, which is useful in politics but makes for problematic discussion.

1 Like

Thanks for the support everyone!

Maybe YOU are, but I am certainly not. As a site owner I’m probably easy enough to physically track down, and as a long time community member I’m often present at community events.

Do you know Not a Number and BlenderNation? I’ve been active in this community for a very long time, maybe that helps you search a little and get a sense of my reputation :slight_smile:

Very true, good catch. I’ll edit that to read ‘I think we ARE better’.

Maybe that’s easier to say if you’re not on the receiving end. The main reason for my statement was that I wanted to send a firm message about our culture and moderation policy.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure (confirmed by short google research) threats, not only death threats, are illegal (at least in German law) and punished with a fine or jail when reported, even if it’s not taken seriously.
There’s a good reason not to let a habit of threatening people thrive. It’s a sensitive topic and hard to draw a line to determine when there is danger and when it’s just a bad joke.
I also assume it’s a kid (or childish adult) who tried to combine a meme with his desire, but in that case they should learn to never do that again and think about why it’s wrong. Threatening to kill someone in a joke can be a first step to threatening to kill someone without joking.

1 Like

That was the “”“death threat”"", a meme?

2 Likes

It being a meme doesn’t change the message. It’s unacceptable.

The message you pretend there is, just isn’t there. Because it is a meme, so therer is no actual threat there. That is basic comprehension.

It is as if you were in a reastaurant, drinking, and heard near you “I would kill for a drink”, then came here to write about the terrible, unacceptable death threat you got.

3 Likes

I don’t ‘pretend’ anything. I wasn’t familiar with this meme and saw a custom made image that told me to revert the site or die. That’s enough for me. You can’t compare memes to common language - you need to belong to a certain community to understand memes.

3 Likes