I received a death threat today

So this just happened: I received the following threat in a post here:

putTheOldSiteBack

Now I can appreciate that this platform change can be a shock to some of you. People naturally resist change, so it’s okay to be emotional about it and to give firm feedback. That’s fine - the Blender Artists crew are professionals who can handle that and we’re already implementing improvements based on your reactions.

But after almost 20 years in the Blender community (yes, I started around 1998), this was the single most shocking thing someone has ever sent me. I think we are better than this, building wonderful software, art and relations together. I’m thoroughly shocked and sad.

Let me be very clear: even as a joke, this kind of behavior is totally unacceptable. Because this was the first time, this user has been ‘silenced’ (cannot post) for 30 days and will need to make a sincere apology or be banned. In the future, any kind of threats, against the Blender Artists crew or other community members, will lead to an immediate ban. If you can’t respect other community members, you don’t belong here.

62 Likes

Keep it hard and kick 'em out!

I’ll be sending you a horse smile, so you cheer it up

:horse:

(meybe two are better :horse::horse:)

6 Likes

I don’t know about sending horse smilies… haven’t you seen The Godfather? :slight_smile:
Ah well… didn’t expect this to be my first post here.
I completely agree Bart that this is unacceptable behavior. This is not something you deserve after all the effort you’ve put into it.

8 Likes

Definitely merits a strong response. Enforcing strong boundaries around unacceptable behavior is very good for the community as a whole.

1 Like

I’m totally on your side @bartv , please even ‘silence’ those who still ask silly questions about UI and features without even go through tutorial or at least have a chat with @discobot !

Here is some brain if anyone needs: :brain:

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Well to compare that to cities and how the number of nut-bags increases with population density, must be that the Blender community is much larger than it once was.

3 Likes

Just for security reasons alone, ditching vbulletin was a good choice, it was quite terrible whenever Blenderartsits was hacked or DDosed by spam postings.

Agreed with the above. Unfortunately, the internet in general has done a very good job in fostering this type of speech (look at YouTube and how people treat the bashing of each other and the sending of death threats as casual speech, even in the comments of videos about puppies).

Speaking of that, let’s show Bart that we really like having him as the community’s new owner with positive messages :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Words don’t byte, girl :wink: but do offer some relief to beings which are highly emotional (and in modern times more enclosed within self… we are all somewhere on the autism spectrum… thus ego brings hell)

to cope with, usual choices are: either tolerance & understanding (mother) or tyranny & vengeance (father)… one day kids will teach you

1 Like

Can you post a link to the thread?

I think you’re overreacting a bit. That’s a popular meme created from “Taken” .
Without any context, it’s hard to know if the user was serious or was just going with the flow and posted a meme in poor taste.

7 Likes

Death threats are way beyond poor taste! It does not matter whether it is a popular meme. In a death threat, the context is absolutely irrelevant! That is simply not acceptable and it is one of the few cases where I am not looking for excuses or justifications! It is simply unacceptable!

8 Likes

Whether it’s poor taste or not, I think it’s reasonable to not accept threats whether they were done jokingly or in earnest, especially when op of the meme probably isn’t even close friends with Bart.

The internet as a whole seems to have a problem with boundaries when it comes to feeling like part of a close-knit community.

That’s just my 2 cents I felt compelled to post for some forsaken reason.

I also didn’t expect my first post to be of this nature LOL

4 Likes

30 days not nearly enough. 1 year ban, and blacklist the IP. And post the username.

1 Like

I really don’t see the point in getting upset over something a silly as a “death threat”.

6 Likes

Someone here made a death threat? But say it aint so, this is such an upstanding community filled with people who are all of the highest mental and moral standards.

Although seriously and all joking aside, we do have some nut bags in here who could benefit from professional help. So yeah use your best judgement on how to deal with that situation.

In this day and age, you really can’t be too cautious or too safe when it comes to things like threats to one’s life (as there are too many people out there who have shown that they can and will carry it out if no action is done).

I think Bart made the right call here, even if the guy who sent it was trying to be funny, there is such a thing as subjects which people shouldn’t joke around with.

4 Likes

Exactly how many online death threats have actually been carried out?

2 Likes

It’s probably safe to say more than zero. I agree with Bart, he shouldn’t have to take death threats or even people joking about it just to maintain a Blender forum, and the way some people have reacted to the new forum is ridiculous.

4 Likes

You know, not so long ago there was this kid who was reported to the law and fbi who later shot up a school…but seriously, what part of death threat do you see as a sign that all is well?

1 Like