Idea for library of Smoke, Fire and Explosion using blender for compositing

Hi,

I am toying with the idea of building a library of 4K image sequences for fire and explosions that can be used for FX in animations. I have played around with smoke, fire and explosions for a long time and the render times are just not there yet.

Here is an example of a small animation I built by compositing smoke and fire elements (very very basic, no color correction or secondary debris) to illustrate what I am thinking

example.mkv (1.1 MB)

I just wanted to get some advice/ideas on what types of FX elements would be useful. I was thinking of things like fire and smoke trails from various camera positions, explosions from various camera positions etc. Are there any other thoughts on what would be useful?

All of these will be rendered in blender of course.

Thanks

Pankaj

Hi there, I have to use some explosion in my animation. Did you ever finish this library? sound so interesting.
About the example movie, do you use image sequence and add them to a plane´s texture?

Hi, i think fire smoke and explosions are hard to market as an image sequences because they need to be a tailored to specific need.
you will need to market the file itself.
Also in your example the top of the smoke is been cut-off by the container.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

I am still working on it. Got side tracked and am picking this up. Mantaflow in Blender 2.8 is really exciting.

The example was with an image sequence but is not the final product. Final product will be a movie file. I can see if I can post an example blend. Might take me a little bit.

Thanks

Pankaj

Glad to heard that!
I manage finally do it, done some tests, the results are promising.
This is an image sequence, no volumetric, render in no time in eevee :wink:

That’s a great looking explosion!
I want to make a more sci-fi style explosion (more of coloured plasma expanding ring) too but I can’t even get a general fire working.
I finally got smoke following a tutorial on YT (which still left a number of details out or else things have moved around), but even though the setting is for fire, there’s no fire.
So many things you have to get precisely right (even using “quick effects” - it’s very frustrating.