Illusion of an endless ground?

Hi, I was wondering if there are any tricks to making a scenes world appear like the plane stretches for infinity?

I have a sky dome and this plane, but even after scaling them both up immensely, I still feel like you can see the end of it.

1. Add some blending at the horizon between ground and sky. Add walls to your plane, these walls should be visible, and apply a different material to them. This new material has a blend/gradient texture that transitions from the color of the ground to the color of the sky at the horizon (the cloud color in this case).

2. You need to add some fading out as more and more air particles/mist obscure your view of the distant ground. Using a radial blend texture layer over top of the ground plane texture is one way, another is using something like http://cgcookie.com/blender/2013/03/11/creating-mist-blender-cycles-z-depth/

Even if you scale the plane to infinity you will see see the end of it as the horizon. Technically not seeing the end, but the effect is the same. Get rid of clouds on the horizon. Next I’d ask you to explain what infinity is and how you would know you had seen it. ur getting hung up on nothing here. I appreciate your thinking though. Keep doing that.

Blender doesn’t do that, parallel lines will never converge to a point. Most people just obscure the vanishing point with objects, clouds/fog, or terrain. Only programs I’ve used that did that were Bryce (definitely) and Terragen (if memory serves), and they were not using actual geometry but simulating it with a raster extension of a 2D texture.

Here’s an idea, make the ground plane a circle (to make it harder to notice the corners), scale the texture down as a factor to the distance from the center, and make the edges of the circle always have the same Z value as the camera, interpolating the height from the borders to the center.

The exact math might need some tweaking to make it look realistic.

Oh, and if you’re moving the camera on the XY plane, you need to keep the circle’s center under it, and scroll the texture (depending on how much you move in relation to the radius of the circle, you might need to add some drivers to manipulate the position, scale and rotation of objects to make them behave like they really are on the virtual ground you created); same if objects are moving in relation to the camera.

add an infinite track from front to back then it will eventualy vanish!
that is perpective effect

happy bl

Has anyone bothered to ask why horizons converge to a point? It’s because of the curve of the ground, else they would look exactly like they do in blender. You might try putting your camera in orthographic render under the camera settings.

Things would still get infinitely small with an infinite flat ground. And with an infinite flat ground the horizon would always appear to be at the same height as you because points at infinite got zero parallax.

dont forget the horizon you see is because your eyes are at about 6 feet height
so if you watn to see more go higher !LOL

salut

Relativistic effects aside, with a round ground, like on a planet, you’ll at most see up until about half of the total surface.

not really the max distance for line of sight is around 250 miles
even at high altitude cause the earth is round!

but let’s stay on near the ground

also dont’ forget the number of vanishing points depends on the scene
one with 0 vanishing point is a forest scene - nature scene

but some houses might have like 6 vanishing points!
so depends on the scene

check wiki it has some interesting doc

happy bl

I think I got it down. Although, I started a new scene but there still is the sky dome and plane. I created a circle, extended it like a ring, then I took the top and extruded it outwards. The texture on the ring is a gradient to alpha color of the ground, so it blends with whatever sky I have.

Does it look okay?

If you’re far away enough, things look almost indistinguishable from an isometric view.

What about infinite up and infinite down for the treetrunks?

Vanishing points are really just a way to make it easier to represent parallel lines using basic perspective projection without having to do the math yourself.

there are no vanishing line for vertical dimension
it can be diagonal in the viewport but not vertical
this is how perspective works!

you can read more on thsi on wiki site

happy bl

Btw:

Majority of the hemisphere is way more than just “250 miles”

There are if you’re looking up or down; or if you got any parallel lines that aren’t parallel with the ground nor the vertical axis of the camera.

ok almost forgot for high rise buildings if your close and look up
there is some perspective too!

have fun
salut

…okay I think you guys got a little carried away.

Once you add more objects into your scene, the use of vanishing lines will aide you immensely. Instead of hoping that the viewer will interpret the horizon as an indefinite distance, vanishing lines will allow you to guide their eyes and force that perspective.