I'm so proud...

well, it turned out really well, and probably improved your ability to use blender. ON TO THE NEXT PROJECT!!!

here’s a little tutorial / example of static seaweed I whipped up.

I hope you can use this technique.

http://blender.isoserv.com/uploads/seaweed_tut.blend

also, if you want to use the transparent plane way to do it, just google ‘seaweed’ and you’ll get alot of imgs that are just some green streaks with a white background. you can then use gimp’s select by color feature to erase the white and leave only seaweed.

edit: i see you’ve allready messed around with this, you might consider making the weeds thinner at the top and using a curve guide or two. they’re one of the best features in 2.40

thanks xqz / jesse

i’ll def have a look at your tutorial, hope it explain the Curve thing you mentioned, that sounds really interesting !

np, here’s an updated one with more explanation of the curve guides:

http://blender.isoserv.com/uploads/seaweed_tut2.blend

c’ya

hey i like it lol i did this tutorial and mine was all stuffed nice joib

Thanks ! Great tutorial by the way, I just thought your little Octopus was so cute. And your seaweed was awesome, I just couldn’t get my seaweed to look as funky as you did - so removed it and went with the particle stuff.

Thanks again mate :smiley:

Hey, I’ve got an idea :smiley:

How’s bout some water bubles?

1. Wack in a UV Sphere, subsurf it to level 2.

2. Give the UV Sphere a high specular material

3. Go to the Mirror Transparency tab and click on Ray Mirror button, drag the slider under it all the way up.

4. Drag the fresnel slider to about 2.5 or so (for both fresnel slider), click on the Ray Transparency.

5. Make the Index of Refraction (IOR) of 1.33 (the IOR of water).

6. Drag the Alpha slider of the UV Sphere material down to 0.

:smiley:

Sick sea-weeds by the way, I reckon those two sea-weeds add to the cartoon feel of the picture, who cares about fancy particle system? %|

Wolf

I’ve got an idea too. Add a barell with radioactive content. That would be cool. Some fishes too.

brilliant idea about the water bubbles, thank you so much for the instructions !! i’ll give this a shot over the weekend and post results asap.

i wasn’t happy with the large seaweed things, but i’ll have another bash - i agree about the particles.

…radioactive barrell ??? what are you trying to do to my poor lil octopus !?