I'm sorry everyone :(...

It’s kinda hard to resist when the full version of Maya Unlimited 4.0 is handed to you. The reason why I haven’t been frequenting these boards much is because I’ve been over at highend3d.com. I’m a newbie all over again. But I must say that I still use Blender to model in. It’s extremely easy to pull a DXF into Maya! I’m still getting the hang of the ‘hypergraph’ texture editor though.

It just seems like all of the sudden… What I’ve had to program in python in the past is either built into Maya (grass->paintFX and hair->Maya Fur tangix->Rigid and Soft Body Dynamics) or someone else has programmed it in MEL (Maya editing language).

But I want to say something…

After a month of using Maya I’m very proficient at it. All my knowledge from Blender carried over extremely well to this package. Blender wasn’t (and will never be) a waste of time for me. I can’t praise the people at NaN or the awesome community enough for what they’ve given me.

I’ll still be around to give back to the community.

That’s excellent that you’ve advanced in the world of 3D.

As a newbie to 3D modelling, I was handed Maya and Blender too, and the recent closure of NaN forced me to consider whether it was worth learning Blender since it potentially has no future. But instead, I stuck with this message board, bought Carsten’s (excellent) Blender Book, and have thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

I’ll see Maya in a year or three, but first I gotta become a Blendah Mastah!

Cheers, Sprite

Hey, Ripsting, where are these copies of Maya unlimited being handed out? (joke)

Seriously, it doesn’t matter which package you use, as long as you make cool stuff with it.

regards

brian.

All i am happy about is you leave here with the pride of using blender instead of flaming us for using blender because you have found something else.

SAYING
When you become big it is easy to forget who put you there.

Good luck

Nims :smiley:

very gracious way of moving on, letting people know how you appreciated Blender, NAN, the community. Also saying how Blender helped you with 3D so you could learn MAYA faster. Good luck to you and don’t be a stranger.

Paradox

I agree with paradox, we appreciate the farewell.
I’m curious though, how far are you with that 2nd generation grass script? that looked awesome…

“Goodbye, farewell, auf wieder sehn goodbye” -The Sound of Music-

I myself just ordered my own copy of Truespace lastnight. Not 5.2, only 4.3. Lots of folks hack on TS but thats what I learned on and it has tons of plugins and you don’t need to know code to get them to work:)

Am I leaving blender…NO. I’ll still hack away on blender too. I don’t need fancy programs like maya and 3ds. I’m only a hobyist. I know you guys are trying to get jobs. I just wana do art.

I appreciate much RipSting message too, but that didn’t look as a farewell to me :slight_smile: .

There is a promise to keep in touch with Blender community anyway, isn’t it?

Happy Mayaing herm blending sounds better…

Stefano

Cool. It’s good to know that the Blender Knowledge will carry over!
I too, am a Blender neophyte! I just got my manual,and have begun my journey through it… That and all of the tutes I can find… I Think I’m addicted… heh heh heh

One question, though? Where can I find some PYTHON info? Some easy tutorials for a punk…?

> It’s kinda hard to resist when the full version of Maya Unlimited 4.0
> is handed to you.

Are you reffering to Maya personal edition? Or did you get a job at a place where they are using Maya? Obviously, the latter is cooler :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’d just like to make sure I understand what you’re saying.

>Are you reffering to Maya personal edition? Or did you get a job at a place where they are using Maya?

Actually my work bought it from a place called www.journeyed.com for about $750 which is absolutely INSANE seeing how the Unlimited version can run up to the $20,000 range… But I work for a college so educational pricing. Didn’t know the price could go that low though. Still more expensive than blender :slight_smile:

>I’m curious though, how far are you with that 2nd generation grass script?

D’oh! I’ve been sucked in too much. I mean grass and its dynamics are all included in Maya. But ya, I’ll finish the dynamic grass generator. I promise! I need to find some web space though. It seems SysAdm’s website went down the same day as Blender.nl!

And no I’m definitly not leaving the Blender community. I’ll see ya around!

Unlimited isn’t anywhere near $20,000 anymore. It sells for $6999 as of a few days ago. It used to sell for $16000. Minor point though. It’s still damn expensive.

But why is your “work” buying an edu. copy of Maya? Seems a little strange. The edu version requires that purchasers qualify with one of the following 3:

1. Full-time students enrolled in a degree or diploma-seeking course of a minimum of 3 months in length at a recognized educational facility. This includes K-12 students. Students must be a minimum of 3 months away from their estimated date of graduation.

2. Full-time instructors teaching a course within a recognized educational facility. Courses must be long-term. This includes K-12 teachers.

3. Part-time instructors teaching a course within a recognized educational facility with a letter indicating length of contract from their departmental dean.

So, did your work just front the cash for someone who really qualifies (you perhaps) or did they pull a fast one?

SatoriGFX.

But why is your “work” buying an edu. copy of Maya?

I work at Oregon State University in the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences.

I work at Oregon State University in the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences.

Sounds like a cool job :smiley:

Martin

That would explain it. Nice perk. :slight_smile:

SatoriGFX.

Man… I’m just finishing a tut on how to make trees and grass using your script among other… and now you leave … well, your achievements in Blender won’t be forgotten.
Your work have been and will always be a source of help and inspiration for the community.

Thank you RipSting, and good luck with your projects !

malefico.

Good on ya Ripsting, if we dont see ya around (God forbid) then thank you very much for the hair/grass generator - it’s been a Godsend to me (keep an eye out for my Harry Potter project and you’ll see why).

I hope you really make it in there.

Don’t forget us Blenderheads!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Lethal

thanx for all ur contrbutions ripsting. good luck with Maya.

P.S. where can i find ur grass script when blender went bankrupt it kinda got lost. Thanx again

I know you won’t be lost forever. It’s like when you have been eating strawberries for a really long time, you really like the taste of banana when it comes along, - but after a while you’ll start longing for those strawberries again, and find out that strawberries are great!

Any sense in that analogy? Anyway, thank you so much for your contributions to the community, and I’ll be waiting eagerly for the contributions to come.

Awesome job you seem to have, what do you do there specifically?

acasto has a LOT of web space!!! he should be able to help you ripsting