Image editing app of choice.

See the following site: www.kamionline.8m.com

On the front page, you’ll see a huge GIMP screenshot customized to match ‘well almost’ photoshop.

I already tried using that plugin and it wasnt very stable on my machine…

MS Paint till the day i die 8)
I might dabble in GIMP or PS sometimes though

I tried this plugin with GIMP 2 on WinXP Home. GIMP 2 is sooo much stable on windows now. I have been using it for commercial work since it has launced and that plugin is working pretty well too… of course if its not working for u… then u r better off without it…

And agree with dante… GIMP ppl shud do a windows version which has only 1 window already by default…

I use GIMP, but I’m a linux zealot (most days).

Cheers,

bob

paint shop pro beta 9 has a 85 day full working trial…
playing with it now… feels more gimpish…

Gimp 2 is very stable on windows for me but the plugin yeilds some really wierd draw errors. Some windows wont close and white spots where windows closed remain on the screen untill i restart the app.

Its a helluva app but I feel much better with PS for the time being. I would still give my right arm to have a Single Window version of Gimp…

It seemed to me that WinGimp is pretty much the same as the free distro that Gimp.org has linked to. Why would I pay for a distro of the Gimp if I could get it for free? (Besides for the reason of supporting the further development of Gimp?)

I might buy a version of WinGimp if it were one that used the “Single Window” method mentioned above…

looks like its still PS for me…and MS paint of course :wink:

there is a free wingimp and with the window plugin is nice,

As a break from the whole GIMp/PS thing…
Someone earlier mentioned Satori Photo/XL (found at http://satoripaint.com). They have a free version, and its a really unique, powerful program thats very good at what it does. Since its free, but unfortunately windows-only, I highly recommend that the Windows users at least give it a try. You’ll find its vector painting abilities to be quite unlike anything else out there.

Glad to see another Satori user here :smiley: (btw I was the one mentioned it before).

One of the greatest things about Satori’s Software is: just draw your image once and render it to any output size you want and that awesome undo-slider. But it’s not vector like in Illustrator or sodipodi, it’s kind of mix between the vector and rasterized attemp of drawing. Freedom of raster and scalebility of vector. As stated above, give it a try :stuck_out_tongue:

I use GIMP now. I used to use Photoshop but then discovered it doesn’t save alpha channels properly with anything other than tiff.

I do find Photoshop more intuitive especially with the window setup though i.e. not having to bring each window to the front. Also, GIMP runs slower with it being under the X11 on my machine.

As for interface, they look almost identical to me - similar with functionality. But I haven’t used either enough to say for definite. Still, Gimp’s my favourite for the moment.

just installed photoshop elements 2.0. looks nice.

I’ve used photoshop, the gimp and paintshop pro
right now I’m using the gimp.
for those complaining about the interface: get version 2 or above, the windows dock and tab, so you only need two (the drawing + one multi-toolbox). I like split pane interface (blender) > multi window (gimp) > mdi (photoshop ) any way.
as to capabilities: photoshop wins on color depth/printing (you could try cinepaint though) gimp wins on scripting. For texture painting I’d say they’re about equal. If you’re on windows gimp tends to be a bit buggier, and I hear tablets don’t work. If you’re on linux (bsd? osx? other unixes?) gimp is stable and works fine with tablets. You can also make gimps interface resemble blender’s by using ion as the windowmanager.

osxrules, if you mean the tga alpha channel saving problem, you need to work with the 7.01 PS version, not the 7.0. The 7.0 has that problem. I think 7.01 is a free update, so you can download.

Yeah, that’s a huge bug in PS 7.0. I have 7.0.1, so np for me. Free upgrade at adobe.com.

I’d like to get my gritty hands on CS though…

me too…

If I get into a new 2d /3d job I hope they have purchased cs version…I didn’t like 6.0 update, was a little buggy compared with 5…But I really loved 7.01.

I read stuff about cs improves, can’t remember, only that weren’t the improves I was waiting for. Anyway, a new version often has its advantages.

I am a bit upset by the brushes window change…i loaved in v5.0 that floating brushes window, now is bit bloated to be much useful…

layers posibilities in 7.01 are really useful.

http://www.gimp.org/images/wilberright.jpeg

GIMP for me

ps cs is damn nice. I use it almost more than blender. :slight_smile:

:o I just did a serch for adobe photooshop and it came up with a license
for version seven at $10 and 2mins left

You might as well just download a cracked version for free, because that is all you are going to get for $10. Ebay rules: If it sounds to good to be true…it’s cracked.

Thanks, I’ll check that out. One reason I want to ditch PS is because you have to pay for most of the 3rd party plugins too. Still, PS has nicer anti-aliasing and CS supports 16 bits per channel better though I doubt I’d need that.

I do like the colour matching feature though, that would come in handy:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/newfeatures.html?newfeaturesswf

Yeah, it must be cracked. The only place you can get professional quality in that price range legally is with Blender and GIMP. :wink: