Images as planes loose quality when imported to the scene?

I want to do a simple animation of zooming to different pictures, the camera should be moving to focus on each image and then zoom out to see all images, But when I import Images as planes and render the scene the images loose a lot of quality. (unlike importing them straight to the compositor for example)

even if I use emission shader for the images and delete the lights in the scene and use orthographic camera it still looks bad.

In the compositor the images look great but it’s very clunky to do this type of animation from the compositor.

Any ideas please?

Good afternoon, and welcome to the community, @Cr0wnM3! While I have seen that there are some sampling issues importing images into the scene compared to using the compositor, are you able to upload an image of what you are seeing? Can you elaborate on what “[losing] a lot of quality” and “looks bad” mean? Are they blurry, washed out, incorrect color? This reminded me of a thread on a similar topic from a few months ago. Here’s a link: (3.6.1) Image Empties have no texture filtering options to speak of(?)

Maybe that can help get you what you’re looking for! If not, hope to hear back about your issue more!

If you want to fully preserve an existing image as a texture, there are a few things to consider.

• In the material editor, change the image’s filtering from “linear” to “closest” to preserve the unfiltered, original pixels.

• In the render settings, go to the “film” section. There, you will find a “width” setting with a default value of 1.5. That default value is a bit on the blurry side. This might work for a realistic camera, but a value of 1 or slightly above will give you a sharper result. I wouldn’t go under 1, as that will cause visible pixellation.

• If you want to preserve the exact colors of the images, set the “view transform” to standard (in the render settings’ color management tab). The AgX and filmic spaces are there to deal with intense light like a real camera would, but they don’t preserve a flat image’s colors accurately.

1 Like