iMeshh Asset Manager/Assets 1.0

I’m not sure why more people aren’t talking about this. Yeah, you have to sign up for another stock site and they get to try to sell you stuff, but the add-on itself and the free stuff is freaking amazing.

Because there are several addons just like that and the point of such an addon is to have all your assets in one place…

Would you list a couple of the good ones for me? I found one on Blender Market but it’s $40. I think that iMeshh is getting a 2.0 version soon so maybe it’ll be more forgiving about having all assets.

You’re right though - I just checked and I can “fool” it into seeing my own assets and thumbnails, but I have to abide by the add-on’s rules. Check this out, I threw a Cello that I did in the lighting folder.

Probably not super useful for a production artist. Sigh.

Well, it’s free and there’s hundreds of megs in free architectural assets. Could be a worse deal.

Asset manager got updated for 2.80, There’s Simple Asset manager, Asset Wizard, blenderkit is actually included in 2.80, there’s wolf-3d’s material library, one by chocofur… I think that’s the short list.

The Chocofur one seems to be for 2.79, Asset Manager looks great but it’s $40, which isn’t a huge deal but I was pretty happy that there was a good free one until you pointed out that you have to follow their directory structure. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ummm… Blenderkit I tried with 2.80 Beta but it crashed the heck out of my PC. I’ll give it another whirl though. I’m checking out Simple Asset Manager now.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Huh. I can install Simple Asset Manager and get it pointed at the right directories. There weren’t any previews, but that makes sense I suppose. There are image files alongside the .blends, maybe it just needs to be set up somehow? I tried the Render Missing Previews button which would seem like just the thing. All that seems to do is open another instance of Blender that kinda just sits there and doesn’t do anything. Looks like an error:

File “”, line 1
import bpy;bpy.context.scene.asset_manager.local_library=“D:\Assets\Mark’s iMeshh Asset Manager Folder”;bpy.ops.asset_manager.render_previews(sub_process=True, rerender=“True”, render_env=“interior.exr”);bpy.context.preferences.view.use_save_prompt=False;bpy.ops.wm.quit_blender();
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Odd. Probably something I’m doing wrong. I read the doc and it doesn’t mention this, but I see there’s a thread about it around here somewhere.

Urf. I’m probably not experienced enough to really know how to make use of it, but I still don’t like trying to get Blender Kit to do stuff. It must be really effective to have made it into the release though. I’ve been searching for something and it’s taking forever. I’m pointing to the right path… there aren’t any thumbnails or anything except for when it looks like I want to buy something, and the thumbnails are really small unless I hover over them. Meh.

chocofur asset manager you can create your own asset library , im using it right now
its has category and subcategory and its easy to organize files

theres a addon compatible for 2.8 , the addon is hidden you just need to watch the video there’s a instruction where you can download it

What do you think about the connecter? I use it and it is very helpful for me. There is no integration for a blender yet, but the drag and drop function is already running in blender 2.8 and that’s enough.

Asset wizard and imesh are both based in simple asset manager.

What I don’t like of imesh one is the need to put every blend and thumbnail in it’s own folder.

Took me a while to find the Connecter download link. I’ll give it a try today. Here’s the link:

Edit: Well, that was disappointing. The maximum thumbnail size is 400x400, which on my 4K setup is not very large. And that’s just the images - the .blend file previews seem to be considerably smaller.

On to the next one I guess.

Getting asset managers to work properly is frustrating for me because I don’t know enough about the underlying script. Has anyone experienced this problem with Chocofur Asset Manager (see below)?

It says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\markh\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\chocofur_model_manager\controller.py”, line 203, in execute
with bpy.data.libraries.load(filepath, isLink) as (data_from, data_to):
OSError: load: D:\Assets\Models\Rocketship.blend failed to open blend file

…only, in the error message that isn’t coming through in this forum post but that you can see in the image, there’s a backslash after Rocketship, so of course the Asset Manager can’t find anything - it’s looking in a bad path. It’s just that I didn’t tell it to put the backslash there and my Assets folder is just the root folder for all of these.

I’m going to email their support to see if they have any suggestions, but I didn’t pay anything for this so I can’t imagine they’d be inclined to be super helpful. :frowning:

Edit: Nevermind, it’s just that the Chocofur Asset Manager has strict ideas about file naming.

But if you have rendered previews, you can automatically assign them to .blend or other files. Take a look at this tutorial.

1 Like

Thanks RavK, I’ll check that out. :slight_smile: