import/export scripts not working under 2.33?!?

hi

i’m a newbie to blender, but i did manage to install scorpius’s file import/export scripts. however, they don’t seem to be working. no matter which file format i’m trying to import, i always get a ‘python script error’ message.

i’m usinig blender v2.33 for mac os x.

anybody else experience this kind of thing? any idea how it might be helped?

i’m desperately trying to exchange files between blender and wings 3d. vrml 2 doesn’t seem to be working, either. any help would be greatly appreciated.

mic

I don’t have access to OSX, but I think the interface is sweet.
Here are some things to try to solve the problem:

1. There might be some old Python 2.2 pyc files in your
    /Blender/.blender/scripts/ directory. If so, delete them.

2. Make sure you have Python 2.3.3 installed.

3. Install the latest update of the suite from my page;
    overwrite the old ones in your scripts directory.

hm, maybe the problem is with the python version: mac os x 10.3 panther comes with python 2.3 included. apparently, that cannot be easily updated to v2.3.3.

does anybody know how to install python v2.3.3 under mac os x panther?

has anybody successfully run scorpius’s scripts under panther?

Are you sure you have the correct blender-2.33-1-darwin-7.3-powerpc version ?

the blender-2.33-darwin-6.6-powerpc is for 10.2.

the blender-2.33-darwin-7.3-powerpc had some weak libraries linking causing problems to peoples which does not have the darwinports.

the differences between 2.3.3 and 2.3 is only bug fixes and should not cause any harm. Before release I’ve tested a variety of scripts (but not Scorpius suite) and they all worked fine. So that I can test this evening, please provide a link to these scripts.

Now if you absolutly want to use 2.3.3, you can use the 10.2 build and install python 2.3.3 with fink. You will have both 2.3.3 and 2.3 in your system, but at differnet locations, and it should not be a problem.
However, I really don’t think it is necessary.

here’s a link to the scripts i’m having trouble with ->

http://www.redrival.com/scorpius/scripts/IO-Menu.zip

here is an excerpt from my console log i got when using the ‘wings_import.py’ script. it doesnt mean anything to me, but maybe it tells you something useful:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<string>”, line 286, in fs_callback
File “<string>”, line 266, in read
File “<string>”, line 75, in read_edges
AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘show_progress’

as for the blender-for-panther-version i’m using: i’m not exactly sure. how do i find out which specific version i installed? when selecting the ‘blender.app’ file in the finder and looking at its information, it says

“2.33-panther, 2004-May-02, Blender Foundation”

where do i get the more specific info you were asking about?

it should be the most recent version, anyway, cause i only downloaded it from blender2d.org 2-3 days ago. or has there already been an update since?

i’m the 10.3 platform maintener for blender.

Your version of blender is fine.

I’ve just tested the scripts suite.
The wings exporter works fine, wings can read it.
The importer is broken, both from a script export and a wings generated file.

For the wings file no error, but empty mesh added.

For me it’s a script bug, not blender nor python. The most obvious reason which spring to mind is a Big-small endian problem, that’s the main difference with PC platform. Refer the bug to scorpius.
If he need someone to test on Os X, I’m available, but cannot hunt the bug itself.

I’ve tested many python scripts and they all work.

In the mean time, for exchanging datas with wings, you can use Obj_io script from Chris Lynch which works flawlessly.

hm. i’m afraid there must be something wrong with my blender/python/system combo as well: for me, the wings exporter isnt’t working, either. i get the same error message i do with the importer.

i’ll try the obj_io script, to see if that works with my config.

ok, that one does seem to work! phew, that’s a relief, thanks for the tip. i was already beginnign to fear that this entire python thing was somehow corrupted on my system…

but then how come that scorpius’s wings eport script is working on your machine but not on mine even though we’re using the same blender version? odd.

that obj_io thing is somewhat awkward, isnt it, having to type in those file paths every time. or is there a newer version with a file requester to be found somewhere other than the one on this page:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8095

also, do you always have to open this script in the text editor window in order to run it or can you get it into the menus somehow like you can with those form that import/export suite we were talking about?

This may be what you’re looking for . . .

http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile/py/obj_io_modif232b.py

thanks. dfl, i will give it a try!

there is also good news about the scorpius scripts. we found a simple workaround:

by commenting out (i.e. putting a “#” in front of) all lines in the script that contain “mod_meshtools.show_progress” you lose the progress bar, but the wings import script now works! (i haven’t tried the others, but i guess the same trick should work with them, too)

of course, the bug causing these problems is still there and scorpius says it’s not in his script. lukep, maybe this will help you locate the bug:

scorpius had me type in and run the following script in blender:

import mod_meshtools
print mod_meshtools.show_progress
print mod_meshtools.blender_version_str

while blender was still running, this came out in the console window:

File “Text”, line 2, in ?

then, after i quit blender, the console read:

Modules/gcmodule.c:231: failed assertion `gc->gc.gc_refs != 0’

according to scorpius, this last line about ‘gcmodule.c’ is the important part. lukep, is this useful to you? is it something you can fix?

I disagree. The important thing is the error in reading attribute.
After this kind of error Garbage collector state is undefined (the gc var)
As all other scripts I’ve tested works, (including some heavy ones like fiber), i’m inclined to think it’s a script problem.

Now, I’m not a pythoner, so you can file a bug report on blender.org.
One thing that seems strange for me is that there is no index nor global var defs. As one python main feature is restricted scope of vars, that seems strange to me.

oh, i dunno, i don’t even know enough about these things to phrase a proper bug report.

i was just trying to help, but what matters to me is that with the progress bar lines disabeled, i can now exchange data between wings and blender. who needs progress bars, when they’re making progresss themselves! :wink:

so thanks to everyone contributing, i’m off trying to get to know blender better. i’m sure the next obstacle is lurking just behind the corner :wink:

mic

This is what I got when I ran the importer followed by the exporter. This is a problem. Could it be that I do not have python’s path configured in blender?

File “wings_import.py”, line 286, in fs_callback
File “wings_import.py”, line 266, in read
File “wings_import.py”, line 75, in read_edges
±---------------------+
| Unable to generate |
| Edge Table for mesh. |
| Object name is: Cube |
±---------------------+
a
File “wings_export.py”, line 335, in fs_callback
File “wings_export.py”, line 299, in write
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/Tkinter.py”, line 38, in ?
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

These python problems I am having are just utterly baffling me. Another problem I have is that I cannot get scripts to load into the I/O menu.

Whew I have been working on this all day with zero success. It is a pain in the a** to find the script directory every single time I want to try a different script.

I hear you man. I’ve just installed the newest version of blender (2.3a) and the latest version of python. And unfortunately, I just can’t get the script to work! can someone. Please, for the sake of God just post a modified script.

I am a modeller, not a developer/programmer. I really don’t like to learn how to do all this stuff just to import a simple model. This is extremely frustrating. Have some mercy.

And this after trying to get all this to work after 1 entire hour [not to mention multiple times closing blender and then having to open up blender again, locating the script again, then locating my model again just to get an error in the console]