Import of models

When I import models into Blender, Blender sometimes tend to rescale the models. Hence, if I just want to make a small change to a model I have to rescale it back to the original size before exporting it.

1. Is there a way to tell Blender not to rescale models when importing?
  2. Is there an easy way to rescale models back to the orignal size? I know you can press n to get the properties window up, but if the model consists of several meshes I have not managed to scale all at det same time?

nemis99,

I’m going to assume that you are using the wavefront obj importer. When you import an object, there is a default that is set “Clamp scale to 10”. What this does is force the maximum size to be 10. So, for example, if I create a cube that 256 x 256 x 256 in one application, and import it to Blender using the defaults, the cube will come in at 2.56 x 2.56 x 2.56. If you hold your mouse button over the “Clamp scale to 10” field, you will see a tool tip that says something like “…set to zero to disable”.

If you are using some other importer, then the option may not exist. The import scripts are often written by different people, so they will not all share the same options.

Best of Luck!

Thank you so much! There is a similar feature for the 3ds importer as well.