Imported displacement maps from zBrush are bloated


new zBrush user here.

If I export via multi export a displacement map and use it in Blender the mesh seems to be swollen. I attach two images, one of the high res mesh exported and rendered in Blender and then the original low-res mesh with displacement and the zBrush displacement map. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I think I have an idea of what might cause the blowing.
The base mesh of Suzsanne is pretty low poly and these difference seems to be calculated into the displacement map.

This image is just a displacement map baked by a subdivided mesh: no edits or sculpting.

I could start the backing from a higher subdivision, but this might kill some details.

Any idea how I can avoid that?

You seem to be exporting vector displacement map (according to zbrush settings) instead of displacement map that the node expects. There’s a separate vector displacement in documentation:

Can’t comment on vector disp. as I’ve never had to use it, but these are the settings that work out of the box with blender just for the usual displacement from zbrush (ignore intensity, whatever is the zbrush default is the right one, if the scale is the same):

(mid 0.5 needs to be the same in blender, not sure how vector disp. handles that).


Hey, my bad the screenshot is wrong.
I also played around with vector displacement and forgot the change it back before I did the screenshot.

However, the displacement maps I did are all only “Displacement”.

Of course, I tested mid of 0.5 and 0. Both make no difference, even if the recommendation to use 0 for exr and 0.5 for tif.

However, I made some progress by using a morph target with the unmodified mesh and deleting lower subdivision layers. The bloating with this approach is fixed, but I’m missing negative deformations.