Importing EXRs to denoise them

Hey,
after figuring out how to denoise rendered images using the “Denoise” node in the Compositing tab, I want to use external EXRs and denoise them.

It works for Multilayer EXRs that come from Blender. I would like to use pass-splitted EXR sequences that come from Maya Arnold, though. I can import those Layers, but the Denoise node does absolutely nothing to the image. I also rendered out the Albedo and Normal passes out of Maya Arnold. Importing and connecting them to the Blender Denoise Node doesn’t alter anything either. What could be wrong? Something I do wrong when importing the EXRs? Here’s a screenshot of the simple setup I use.

The purpose is to consume less energy (climate change, you know…) when rendering at my university. Implementing a little Blender script for denoising would be great.

Cheers,
Dasepure

What is the point of doing this in Blender when Arnold has several denoisers (including OIDN and OPTIX) which would be better configured to work with Arnold’s AOVs.

The pipeline is the point. The rendering process can’t be altered at this point. But what we do with the finished EXRs can be altered. The Arnold Denoiser was discussed but dismissed. Optix can’t be used cause the render farm doesn’t feature GPUs on all render blades.

So OIDN it is. I had a look at Blender and OIDN cause I knew we could import & export EXRs there. I don’t know a way of doing this with Maya and OIDN.

I am also aware that there are standalone command-line options for OIDN. The pipeline folks don’t have any time to have a look at anything so I’d want to come to them with a solution that already works on my own system. I’m not a fan of those command-line tools and thus would rather script something small for Blender in the end. If I figure out that Blender doesn’t work for this, I’ll look into other options.

I don’t wanna blow this thread with further details about my situation and rather focus on whether it’s possible or not, and why it might not work in the first place.

So does anyone have an idea why the Blender Denoise node doesn’t do anything with those external EXRs that originate from Arnold?

I am not sure if that’s what is happening here, but I seem to remember reading that each renderer has its own noise pattern. This means that a denoiser that is trained to work with a specific renderer might fail with an other, because the noise is slightly different.

Good idea, but that’s not a problem here I guess. OpenImage Denoise is trained in a more general way. And it is also available inside Maya Arnold for denoising internally there.

The problem here should be something with the file format, or data exchange between Maya and Blender in general.

I sense the question doesn’t fit here too well. I’ll give Blender Stackexchange a shot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh it fits perfectly… but nobody tried something like this… or knows a proper answer than tha already given…

Anyway… if you find something., i hope you do let us know :wink:

1 Like