importing from inventor

hi, i’m looking for someone who has the answer to this question, how can i import any piece modelled in inventor in blender? i’ve discovered that a .ipt can be exported as .stl and then imported in blender. but the problem is not there, it comes when you try to import an assembley (.iam). after trying and trying, hours and hours i’ve discovered a possible way via 3d studio. exporting the iam as igs and then taht igs from 3d studio as a .stl tu import it in blender. ther is a problem, big one, it treat it as a unique object, not as an assembley, bas for texturizing. does anybody know how to get an inventor assembley into blender without losing information of each component??? thanks a lot

blender’s great.

you will most likely always lose some information on a conversion from a cad system.

I think from inventor you can export as proE or solidworks… well, actually, you are looking for *.slp? try to export to that, then use the proE importer … no guarantee, but my experience has been that it is actually quite good with assemblies… albeit they do come into blender as a single chunk.

Depending on what you are doing you will need to decide if it is better to export lots of parts or subassemblies and import them one at a time to a central coordinate system or the single chunk and break it up in blender if necessary.

and check this… a reference link explaining a bit as to what format to use under which circumstances…
http://www.okino.com/proe_tut.htm