Importing .obj files with bones

Hi,
A few months ago I made several models using 3ds Max for a game I was modding. I now want to use the monster models I made in a game I am making myself. In order to do this, I must use an exporter plugin that only works with Blender.
I originally made the basic models in Blender, since I find Blender a much more intuitive modelling app than 3ds (just my opinion), but because the exporter plugin for THAT game (the one I was modding, not the one I am making now) worked ONLY with 3ds Max 5, 6, or 7, I had to do the rest (UV mapping, riggin, animation) in 3ds Max.
Well, as said, I now want to use these monster models (since they are in fact MINE and look pretty darn good!) in a game I am making from scratch.
I have found that whether exporting from Blender to Max or from Max to Blender, exporting as .obj (Wavefront) seems to work best.
So, I succeeded in exporting/importing my Hobgoblin model, complete with UV map, texture and bones (animations do not seem to export, unless I just don’t know the right way to do it… quite likely), but it seems the bones are no longer “rigged” to the model’s skin mesh. When I try moving a bone, it just flops around and moves nothing else.
I actually have only made one animated model with Blender, and I don’t remember all the steps I took.

My question is, how can I make use of the skeleton in the model I exported as .obj from Max and imported to Blender? All the bones are all there, everything is there. They are just not rigged. Do I have to go through all the pains of weight-painting, etc, etc? Or is there an easier, softer way?

Are the bones even useable?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.

Yes… I think you’re going to have to rig, weight paint it and stuff like that, again.

Are the bones themselves useable?

You cant import obj bones into blender. So… I don’t think they are.

Yeah. All the bones are being interpretted as individual meshes, though they still have their pivots. Anyway, I can’t use imported .obj files anyway, since when I export from Blender using the exporter plugin for the game I am making anything that was originally imported as .obj, the model appears solid black in the game.
But, importing .3ds files work fine, unless I export .3ds from Max with bones, in which case the whole skeleton is WAY deformed and useless. But, since bones are useless in either case, at least the stuff I export/import in .3ds format looks exactly as it should in game. Which is great, since I find UV mapping and texturing more a chore than rigging/animating.
Anyway, thanks for your help. Now i need to go find those tuts about rigging to refresh my memory.

You’re welcome. I hope you get it all together. :slight_smile: