Improving stabilization in phone videos

I have used motion tracking to stabilize videos taken with mobile phones (phone in hand). It works quite well but I have several questions about how to improve it.

1. What is best to track? I use small spots with good contrast, but those spots change size and shape when the mobile shakes. Any suggestion?
  2. When the spots are obscured e.g. by some people passing, is it ok to disable the marker or should I manually add the probable location?
  3. What is best for pattern area? Size similar to the spot I am tracking, or much bigger? And for search area?
  4. Sometimes I see that the pattern and search areas change in size. Is there a way to change them to a given size along the video, e.g. 30x30? I don’t know why they change.
  5. The pattern area rotates, what is the logic behind the rotation? Is the pattern area rotation useful for anything?
    I have been watching many stabilization tracking tutorials in YouTube but for some reason I cannot get a good result even re-locating all the markers by hand, frame by frame… hard work!