Increase Menu/Tools Font size in Blender 2.7 - Improve readability of the interface

Hi all,

This may be something silly for advanced users, but I’ve been searching for a while and couldn’t find a straight answer to this. Some were saying that font size is hard-coded and cannot be changed…In the actual fact, the font size can be changed and it’s fairly easy, once you know where the option is.
I’ve been trying to increase the readability of the menu/tools fonts, in Blender 2.72/2.73RC and couldn’t do it by any means.
Increasing the DPI is not a viable option, as some of tools and menu’s are not affected, the whole interface becomes choppy.
All I wanted is to increase the menu fonts from 11px to 13px, not the whole DPI.

I have fiddled with Antialiasing on the Nvidia Card, the Text Antialiasing function in Blender, this made it worse.
Have installed a custom font, enabled International Fonts, still no change.

Solution is as follows:

Go to File>>User Preferences>>Themes>>Text Style>>
Change Panel Title>>Kerning Style>>Points>> (by default there will be a 11 value) increase that to 13.
Change Widget>>Kerning Style>>Points>> (by default there will be a 11 value) increase that to 13.
Change Widget label>>Kerning Style>>Points>> (by default there will be a 11 value) increase that to 13.

That’s it!
If you find this thread useless, you can remove it, no worries. :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas!
K2

Attachments

1 Like

The DPI setting works for me and the associated UI scale-up is a must for 4K monitors. There’s a new virtual pixelsize feature in 2.73RC that may be worth exploring also:
https://developer.blender.org/rB6fa46ad315ceb46dbf47d6c6ffdda032d0e885ed

Thank you. So great people like you share info. I am sure you saved me hours of looking.