Industrial Loft with vintage furniture

I liked something like this. It will give a more cozy feeling since the lights arent that high. Buts its a personal pref ofcourse

2 Likes

I see what you mean now, but the heavy industrial lights, hanging from chains, in my scene wouldn’t be appropriate for such a low placement over the table, imo. But I get the point and thanks for sharing your thought.

1 Like

This is a handsome piece of 3D work. As an architect & Blender novice, not qualified to critique technically. High quality architectural space, w/ special emphasis on how it’s composed, lit & “photographed.” It has a quiet, peaceful force - I’d say it invites one to be there, alone w/ a book & fine music, w/ a friend, romantic or professional collaborator to pursue some serious thoughts. The taste in choosing the range of furniture, rug, light fixtures, etc., is exact. The care the “owner” has taken to modify this industrial loft makes a near-perfect contrast to the richness of the seating (aesthetically - expensive, too, of course: Barcelona chairs are not cheap, likewise the leather mega-sofa), restrained warmth of the rug, nostalgic farmhouse-style of the wooden desk, informality of the bookshelf & coffee table items. All top quality, yet unpretentious & seemingly well lived-in. As to the presumably original concrete floor slab: If the owner has taken the trouble (or instructed his/her designer) to paint out a subdued charcoal accent wall (notice how it is even more subdued by framing the window, where it reads as little more than a shadow, also keeping the radiator, necessary but ugly, from spoiling the design), spend for furniture, carefully place the seating ensemble, etc., no doubt the original slab has been leveled w/ a flowed-on repair compound, then finished in a precisely chosen color using industrial deck paint, or similar treatment. See the little fold in the rug? That happens w/ rugs on smooth floors, not rough. Respecting Mr. Rombout’s comment about his offered design: That shows impeccable contemporary style, in all the elements of his interior - for me (again, just taste difference), it is so impeccable that I’d feel I’d have to wear a suit & tie to visit :slight_smile: . Overall, this Blender artists’ community is doing really impressive work. Thanks to all.

1 Like

Btw the steel door functions in warehouse/industrial buildings to meet several requirements - security, fire rating, soundproofing, etc. Even if only 1 original tenant used the whole floor, there may have been diverse functions in manufacture, shipping, administrative, etc. Or, different companies leased different areas. Sliding on the overhead rail avoids “wasting” space w/ a doorswing, especially where a wide opening is needed (forklifts, cargo dollies). What is on the other side would be, originally, a workspace w/ no refinements - &, of course, an imperfect concrete floor surface.So, artist/designer birdnamnam is perfectly authentic, as well as talented.

1 Like

@MDR43Arch I really don’t know what to say about your posts above. Full of knowledge (that I don’t have) and of kindness and indulgence (that I may not deserve). I’m not an architect. I’ve studied Civil Engineering a long time ago (~20years), but I’ve never exercised Engineering as a profession. Nevertheless, architectural elements and composition have always been a great attraction to me. I was specialized in old/historical buildings and their construction systems, so old buildings and everything that has to do with them, from bricks, wooden parts, stones and metallic beams to vintage furniture, lighting etc, is my main field of interest. Nowadays, I’m a blender hobbyist who tries to find a way of creative expression through these projects, in order to keep my brain active and my creativity alive. I have a very little free time ( I mostly work with blender late at night, when my kids are asleep… :blush: ). Why I write all these words? I think it’s one of the few times here in the forums that a member takes so much time to study my work and write down all these thoughts (@smilebags is the only one I can recall right now) , full of rich knowledge and detail, so I had to write some things about me in order to justify my gratitude for your posts.
Thanks, and if there is anything I can to do to make you advance from a novice blender user to a more fluent one, I’ll do my best to help.

Thank you, one more time!

1 Like

You are entirely welcome - it is very gratifying to see work such as yours. We live in an age when superficial, or bureaucratically constrained, design is all too common.
I may very well take your offer of help w/ Blender - right now, I’m struggling w/ learning new procedures & vocabulary, since the Blender universe is quite different from the way I’ve worked to design buildings.
Do you know when the version 2.8 comes out (for us non-coders)?
Also trying to make sure I buy the right new hardware to process Blender fully - not as expensive as Barcelona chairs, but close! :slight_smile:
My sympathies about how little “free” time there is - hell, I’m divorced-no-kids, & it’s already next day 6 a.m. here.
I hope you do more projects like your industrial loft,
Your work is fully professional, should you ever wish to make it available to clients - you have knowledge & taste above that of many professionals (&, trust me, I don’t do flattery).
There is no reason to consider yourself “only” a hobbyist, in terms of what you can do.
Btw we have in common experience & love for old buildings.
I hate it when perfectly sound structures are demolished, that could be “reborn,” especially when not only ignorance, but needless expense is involved in obliterating them.
Best regards.

1 Like

My learning path was one of small steps at a time. I started watching tutorials online (there are thousands of them on youtube), I bought a few also, and each time I decided to follow a tutorial from start to finish, I always tried to add some personal variations to it, in order to make it more “unique”, sort of speaking. For example, this scene Bathroom scene. It was a combination of two Blender Guru’s tutorials. I knew it was based on somebody else’s concepts, but I didn’t feel bad about it. That’s the meaning of learning through tutorials. By doing that, I was getting more and more accustomed to blender’s “procedures & vocabulary”. That’s what I would advise a novice user to do. What really skyrocketed my work was the advice and feedback from advanced blender users here in blenderartists forums. Some of them have really opened my eyes in many fields, from minor things to paramount principles. So, that’s the way to do it. Start with something small and easy and proceed gradually to more complex stuff, and when you’re stuck at some difficult point, then it’s time to ask here in the forums, and you’ll find answers, believe me.

As for the 2.8 version, I don’t really know. It was supposed to be officially released later in October, but I don’t know if the developers team is 100% ready. Later this year maybe.

As for the hardware, if you mean a new Workstation pc appropriate for blender, I could give you some advice if you want. It’s better to start a thread in https://blenderartists.org/c/support/technical-support . Be sure to mention the budget and what exactly you want to buy (ex. if you need a new monitor too, or if you’re going to use hardware parts from your old rig, etc). I’ll try to answer there, as other members will certainly do too.

Thanks for your very positive reviews on my work. I don’t really know if I will ever be able to do this as a part time job or something like that. I have another occupation (which is time consuming). I just started to sell models in Gumroad. I’m not very optimistic about it, but I thought it’s a pity to leave them static inside my hdd’s. Whatever :blush:.
Good luck with blender, and feel free to ask anything. If I know something about, I’ll help, be sure of that.

1 Like

Its a personal choice of course. It still looks sweet!

1 Like

They think Q4 or perhaps Q1 2019… I think it will be the last. They are in Alpha 2 stage now i believe. So we still need Beta testing.

1 Like

Very kind of you.

You are a gentleman.

So, what is this Gumroad?

Do you have your other models displayed there?

I’d be very interested to seem them.

&, yes, I’ve attempted to follow some tutorials & purchased courses.

Because these seem to be mostly, or all, based on earlier Blender versions - rather than the 2.79 that I have, it adds still another “barrier.”

Hopefully, I will learn some greater patience, & go thru more repetitions of small-scale models.

My goal is actually to present some quite large-scale projects, eventually, for a non-profit that I am trying to set up.

Your advice is sound - patience! (aarrgh-h - I am impatient).

Stubbornness, though, works also?

:slight_smile:

It’s the simplest way to sell products of any kind you can think of, but mostly suited for digital products. The only drawback is that you have to promote/advertise your products by yourself. Buying and selling is a matter of a couple of clicks, honestly. I had my chance with turbosquid (a couple of simple models) but the result was a disappointing grand total of 0$ for about a year now. It’s crowded, competition is huge and the pricing is underwhelming. From which you get a 40% as a junior member, while Gumroad keeps only 5% (plus some cents).

This is my first Gumroad model. I’m planning to gradually upload various models, from simple to quite complex ones (like the chesterfield sofa in this project, which is my best piece so far).

As for the 2.79 to 2.8 transition, I feel rather depressed about it. I have heavily customised my 2.79 User Interface (UI) and I don’t really know if there’s a way to transfer this way of working and all my custom preferences to the new 2.8 UI. I may continue to work inside the last 2.79 build for a while, and then render the scene inside the 2.8 official version for better render times etc.

In my opinion, don’t just wait for 2.8. Even old tutorials would be useful, even from times when no Principled BSDF shader existed (not so long ago) and every single material was created from scratch. Although I use 3d software for quite a long time (over 10 years in total), with Blender it was the first time I realized how shading and materials work. Its node system was quite complicated to understand, but now, I feel relatively comfortable with any material workflow from any 3d software comes in my way.

Ah, and patience in one of the greatest virtues in life, and not least, for 3d software.

Well, time available, looking briefly into Gumroad - I’m obviously (& typically) behind the curve on such resources.

I can see where its apparently trendy character would not necessarily attract the sort of interest, that work at our level might need.

Additionally, absent high-probability of a revenue return fairly quickly, having to pay fees regardless of results seems a bit insulting (P.T. Barnum’s reminder “…there’s a sucker born every minute,” etc.

I do my best to stay away from subscriptions - pay once for whatever, & own it…

On the other hand -what else can we do?

I’ve a book of poetry-w/-graphics project; most advice is to self-publish via one or another of such services, since conventional publishers ignore such things, for their understandable economic survival.

Not just the “self-publishing” fees (mostly reasonable), but the banal strategies - for making a viable presentation to interested people - totally discouraging; everything predictable, via superficial categories, totally missing the point of what one is doing.

One perseveres…patience, again, right?

Great that the founder invented Gumroad at age 17.

Inspiration & innovation by young men & women is so valuable for civilization - make something new before getting beaten down by establishment skepticism, fear of change.

Here in Massachusetts USA we have an independent political candidate, running against a powerful establishment incumbent, who apparently actually invented e-mail at age 14.

Multiple patents to prove it - though insulted & scorned by established tech industry figures.

If I recognize national/cultural background in both their names, from India originally?

Much needless emotion here about value of people who become American as immigrants; I guess typical now everywhere.

At every level, local & humble as well as at social scale, there is an integrity & authenticity of design, innovation & artistry that frees us to respond, & ignore shallow categories. We can let in any genuine emotional impact, insight, inspiration?

One always hopes.

The vintage furniture displayed in the photo looks aesthetic. It has a playful, lightweight look, and reflects a nostalgic charm. I think this type of furniture would also be more economical than buying an original antique furniture. To make it look more artistic, I think an old gramophone can be kept to jazz up the room. Vintage furniture is typically about keeping ancestral belongings, second-hand articles or any wholesale furniture that has a vintage style to it. There’s a wide variety of choice when it comes to vintage furniture pieces, and this model has effortlessly curated the best ones.

1 Like

I like your lighting and detailing in this work:+1:

1 Like

I really appreciate your insightful comments on my work. Thank you.

Looking great!

I recently watched BlenderGurus Lightning mastery course and he mentioned somewhere that you should avoid huge bright windows because they pull your attention away from the rest of the scene. I’m not the most experienced guy concerning lightning, but I that distracting effect in your loft immediately… Maybe consider some curtains or something?

Furthermore I’m loving your work, keep it up!

1 Like

hey @birdnamnam, You know we also manufacturer exact same pieces of sofas and industrial tables. For showing our sofa designs you can visit us: furniture manufacturers in India

Thanks. I’ll take a look.

Hello, birdnamnam! Good day from Miami. As a beginner in antique furniture designing, I should say that handling these projects may become quite difficult, especially if the designer is a newcomer in that sphere. For example, I had a project that involved some vintage wrought iron furniture. My customer wanted to renew his patio, but preserve its vintage look as well. It was a real challenge for me to make a new-created set of wrought outdoor furniture look antique and to distinguish a real-looking antique furniture from some items that seemed to look as a fake. So, I’ve read lots of tips before I got literally involved in the project and as the result, I finished it successfully. Here’re some of the tips that helped me once, just read this and I hope this simple guideline will help you a lot in your possible projects as well.
Good luck & best regards!

1 Like

looks really amazing.

please have a look at our website KERNOW FURNITURE. We have 100s of vintage, retro and antique furniture and home accessories available to buy online. New stock arrives daily, we offer fast delivery. THANK YOU