Inkscape's return to active development is confirmed with the 0.92 beta release

Ah, I see, Ace Dragon, thanks for clarifying.

0.91 was released in 2015.

Okay, I was looking at the last modified date on the bottom of the page instead of the actual release date information near the top.

Still, the point remains that there was a recent period where there were no major releases, since the information points to a roughly 4.5 year gap between release 0.91 and release 0.48 (with the only ones in between being minor bugfix releases).

The basic point remains that development was very slow for a while and is now starting to pick up again (as evidenced by both the last two releases and the increasing commit rate).

shhh, you will jinx it :wink:

Sorry, but nope :slight_smile: It’s roughly the same:

https://www.openhub.net/p/inkscape/commits/summary

And development wasn’t slow between 0.48 and 0.91. The problem was (and, to an extent, still is) with the release management.

I am looking forward to updates of Inkscape, in particular SVG updates.

I use Inkscape on a weekly basis since I switched from Adobe software to alternatives. I particularly like how the Photoline developers seem to have decided to adopt Inkscape as a round-trip solution for editing vector elements:

1. in Photoline Inkscape is set up as an external program filter with SVG as the exchange format
  2. add a shortcut that refers to this menu entry
  3. create a vector layer (or import a SVG, and group all elements)
  4. select that vector layer or vector group
  5. activate Inkscape within Photoline
  6. edit the vector objects in Inkscape. Add new objects, do what you like.
  7. save the file (this will be saved to a temporary file)
  8. switch to Photoline, and the vector layer or group automatically updates!
  9. the link remains live, so switching back to Inkscape and saving changes result in automatic updates in Photoline.

Super handy. It is comparable to the Photoshop<->Illustrator smart object link, but PL’s workflow is smarter (no pun intended :smiley: ), since it is not necessary to work with a smart object. And individual vector objects/layers can be transported to Inkscape when required.