Inside out. A new kind of ship.

Here is the very well lit shuttle bay/storage room:

I’m starting to run out of things to add to the ship. That means it’s almost time to shape the hull!:smiley:

Nice concept, i love the idea of building a ship this way! Do you think that it would be possible to post a view of all the rooms placed without the hull, i would be really curious to see it all…

Ironicly, that’s exactly what I was going to do. I can’t think of any more rooms so I’ll just show the ones so far and maybe begin the hull.

The long pipe things that are connecting all the rooms are actualy curves that have hooks attatched to each room so that I can move them around without having to remodel the corridors.

Facinating technique with the hooks connecting the rooms like that! Did you think of that yourself?

Interesting approach of interior planning first. but…you don’t really want curving corridors like that do you? You must be planning more rooms, once you get the hull roughed out, right?
Space is at a premium on a ship because you need to minimize the materials, have a hull to enclose it all, etc.

FYI, there’s reasons for the different hull shapes. E.g. a sphere gives maximum volume for surface area=material, etc, and the interior arrangement is usually secondary other than a few items. You place the important things where they need to be and everything else has to fit around it into the hull. For example, you want engeneering close to your engine controls (ala Enterprise), and if your engines are big and long, they may run the length of the ship, or they may stick way out the back, especially if you need radiation shielding, e.g. the Discovery in 2001. Or, if you need to rotate for artificial gravity, you need a large cross-section.

Unless of course, you’re going pure fantasy, we-dont-have-to-worry-about-any-expenses-or-physics or else have a jumbled together free-arrangement of modules! More like a space-station. :slight_smile:

dgebel: Thanks for the suggestions.:slight_smile: I actualy came up with the idea for using hooks with the curves when I was trying to animate the cord to (ironicaly) a crashing TV. The curvy corridors will only be used as long as I’m trying to position the individual parts. When I’m done, I’ll go back and make some better square ones.

A few modifacations to the positioning:

I think its ready for the hull now.:evilgrin:

Makes me think of the starcraft battlecruiser for some reason

More than that, if you are trying to protect the crew from solar proton events or other sources of cosmic radiation, you want to minimize the surface area. The more surface, the more radiation shielding you will have to plate over it.

This also applies to anti-weapon armor, if your spacecraft might be fired upon.

are you going to animate w/ this? just asking because it seems like it wud own lolz =3

Good thoughts :slight_smile:
Incidentally, check out Pat’s WIP for Excalibur if you haven’t already - specifically, this posting:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showpost.php?p=981408&postcount=94

At the bottom, he’s got a link to an “MSD” - main systems diagram. I.e. cutaway/diagram of the inside of the ship. I guess he created the outside, same as you did! Might give you a few more ideas of things to include and/or arrange things.

Thnx for all the comments.:eyebrowlift: I’ve started on the outer hull finally, but it’s been really hard to get it to look good. Personaly I’m not very happy about the current results so far:

Smoooth Crash. If a side doesn’t seem to fit, or you get tirangels, or u had to subdivide in an ugly fassion, then it doesn’t fit. Delete it, start again, until it all fits nicley. Modelling is hard but it all should be seemless.
Hope that helps.

It’s not that bad. Still needs more detail obviously. Maybe make some of the things like the guns bigger, add supporting details. Also, you could try “taking in” the skin, like clothes. Make it more “skin tight”, which will give bulges and stuff to it.
Realize that since you were aiming for an external reflection of the internal placement, you are basically going for a functional look rather than say, a streamlined hull, and are thus very unlikely to come up with a streamlined one. So… go utilitarian!

Of course, this is probably why usually the hull design is done first. Ahem. :wink:

@Floorplay - I think he meant the “design look” not the rendering.

I didn’t say it was ’ that bad’ dgebel, you did. I think the design is great. But how do you get a good render without proper foundations?
Was just trying to help.