Integrated Glass using transparency in Blender 2.79?

Hey everyone!

I am trying to render some transparent glass when the background is transparent.
However, the glass will use a grey instead and I cannot use the image in compositing in other applications.

After doing some research, I found that mixing a Transparency or Holdout shader with Glass by a Fresnel node approaches this result. But it’s really not optimal for complex figures that don’t use a pure Glass shader.

Now I found this:

JtheNinja mentions the “Transparent Glass” setting that is supposed to be available since Blender 2.79.
I do use Blender 2.79 and I cannot see this setting. I even downloaded the current 2.79b just to make sure, but this option didn’t show up.

Is there a way you have to activate this? Has this been removed at some point? Or is it just available for certain graphics cards? (Mine are AMD Radeon R9 M370X and Intel Iris Pro)

Greetings,
Shu

You will need to browse to here and download a current 2.79 Blender build for your OS.

This feature was not in 2.79 and therefore is not in 2.79a, as those releases with an added character only contain bugfixes and not new features. The 2.79 Buildbot releases (see link), however, are always “bleeding edge”.

Thanks for your reply! I downloaded one of the buildbot releases and the feature works as expected!

Unfortunately, I already ran into a bug that is not present in the stable 2.79 release.
However, since it’s a rendering feature, the stable 2.79 can be used for working and the buildbot release for rendering.