Intel releases Rocket Lake. Bulldozer Lake?

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i9-11900k-processor-review.html

The reason for the title is due to how this new generation from Intel more or less gives you nothing compared to Comet Lake. You get a few more FPS in gaming, but the boost is too small to be noticeable in most titles unless you game at tiny resolutions. In addition, this shows Intel going backwards in areas like multithreaded tasks (ie. Cycles rendering), power consumption, and memory latency.

I have been reading chip reviews for many years, and this is maybe the first time I can recall a newer generation being objectively worse in numerous apps. compared to the previous. Intel is also set to throw software devs. a curveball when they introduce Alder Lake and its BIG.little design (so another potential regression in multithreaded performance could be on its way). All in all, this could be the Bulldozer of the 2020’s, not good for consumers because AMD does not have to cut prices at all now.

Now the wild card is if Intel can get their next-gen fab processes working, Rocket Lake could’ve been hurt by the fact that its design had to be backported to 14nm, so it will be interesting to see if they can recover their loss once they finally throw that aging process away.

In all, I would either wait to see what Alder Lake or what Zen4 brings. It is not a good time to upgrade in general anyway because GPU’s are hard to get.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree with on upgrading tasks. It is literarly awful thing for us. For some reason on this situation just give chance for the time and just wait for days or for nonths.

It’s the perfect time to be able to justify buying a high end laptop though. You want a 3080? Buy a $3000 Razer Blade! It’s less than buying a desktop GPU standalone at the moment, and you even get the rest of the computer along with it.

Not hard to get, just hella expensive, even a 3080 is going for 1000 USD :money_mouth_face: but I saw a bunch of 3090 FE for 2,700 dollars. I might get 2 more 3090, for the mining! it’s addicting :smiley:

I ordered a custom PC with a 3080 back in late Feb and it’s due to arrive on Monday. I paid less than 3000 US. The custom PC builders (Origin, iBuyPower, FalconNW, etc.) get GPUs set aside for them before retailers so that they can stay in business, and they only charge MSRP as far as I know (I think I only paid $575 for the GPU included with the system). Forget trying to buy a GPU standalone.

2 Likes

I’m still sticking with my i7 5820K processor. As it does everything I need it to do and is running strong. People are saying that Moor’s law is dead, while others are saying that it’s still viable. I’m having a hard time seeing that it isn’t dead.