Intended use of "Texture Mesh"?

Hi

If I setup two rectangles I can achieve some distortions on the (auto) generated UV’s if I modify the mesh acting as the texture mesh. But I’m unable to actually get something useful out of it, like having my texture mesh at different resolution defining an arbitrary warp of the projection.

I come from very old software that used to have “mapping primitives” as one way of texturing. Example here, where a subdiv object is mapped by a “disk mapping” primitive as one of several options, whereas in Blender the only “primitive” is a rectangle/cube (shift T) that can be repositioned and scaled, but not rotated (afaik).

The only reference I could find about texture mesh was devs asking if it should be removed :slight_smile:

Is it planned to improve on the usability of texture mesh and/or other primitives defining a texture space “projecting” perpendicularly from the primitive texture space onto the actual mesh, using “object definitions” like planar (which we already have), spherical, cylindrical, cube, disk, cone (flat cone = disk), and mesh?

So I’m wondering what the intended use is for the feature Object Data/Texture Space/Texture Mesh actually is?

I have used it on occasion to make some crazy warped textures and it would be a shame to lose it. I don’t think many people use it, but it’s a cool feature, nonetheless.