Internet Connection

sorry,
but this is neither any news or cg related, moved to Off-Topic section…think when you post next time!

I originally bought 512kb connection for around £24 with blueyonder, which over years to the current date kept updating till it was 4Mb.

Though, to be honest while it is faster, since i do get around 400kb/s which is basically what 4Mb equals, i used to have those sort of download speeds when we first got 512… Infact the service got worse now were 4Mbit… since technically 4Mbit - 512KB/s

All to do with how they oversell, unfortuntly my 512 connection was much more reliable.

Right now, I’ve got 8mbit, pretty soon we’ll get 100mbit though. It’s an emerging standard.

It wont be a true 100Mbit line.

They cost hundreds a month alone, and i havn’t seen one datacenter offer 100Mbit lines for a cheap price at all. Hell 10Mbit lines go for £200 a month at data centers.

Of course in the UK bandwidth is more expensive, infact american get anything cheaper… lol but Theplanet offers 100mbit upgrade for $1200 and i think its cogent bandwidth too, if i remember, because my friend has a couple of thier matrix servers. (cogent = the cheapr stuff :o)

it all come down to where you live…here in sweden where I live we have up to 24/1 Mbps ADSL2+ , which I have had over a year now, and 10/1 Mbps a year before that :slight_smile:

just remember that most internet companies says Mb (MegaBit) not MB (MegaBytes).
What a clever confusion trick. I’m deaf but i have a hearing aid and i’ve noticed how my commercial says MB differently than i though it should so i caught another of the same commercial and listened real hard and so that how i found out about the Mb and MB trick. 8 Mb is equal to 1 MB. So that mean the theoretical 6 Mb speed (my connection speed) would actually be more like 768 KB (KiloBytes) which is around my usual download speed that i’ve tested by downloading a large files like a linux distro and looked at the downloading speed at the firefox download window.

It won’t? Meaning it won’t always be full speed? It’s always like that.

It’s the offical names for the size sets, and so it’s no trick. I could go into more detail why there are bits and bytes but i’d rather not… Read up on howstuffworks.com on CPU creation.

The data is measured in bits because that is the lowest form of data we currently use. The computing industry is set up on a 8bit (byte) standard, a 32bit processor is infact 4 x 8bit paths, if we suddenly changed to a 9bit path then we’d need a new “ascii” or “unicode” and so on which addopts a 9bit path, but… likwise… someone could have a computer utilising a 9bit path, and therefore 1byte =9bits so Mb is more accurate than writing MB for things such as internet connections.

It won’t? Meaning it won’t always be full speed? It’s always like that.
yup… but it’s likely to be slightly worse because their playing with larger figure meaning they cant get away with too many people being on at one time.

Say it’s shared between 10 people… if all are on you’ve got 10Mb/s… jusy you online? 100mbit. 5 people online? 20mbit…

However they might pack 20… because it unlikly ur’ll find a download resource @100Mbit … and even that will take a few sec to download 1GB… and again they might even pack 50 (25 off peak and 25 peak)

But for me who moniters my connection… I will easily see my connection running at 5Mbit even though all my web pages load at the same speed if i had 100bit running…

last time i checked, Not to be totally contrary, but OC3’s were the closest you could get to 100Mbps(OC3’s go somewhere around 150, a true 100meg link would be an OC2 but I dont know of any OC2’s in existance) wan links, And when you’re talking internet you’re talking Wan, 100Mbps Ethernet has been around for quite a while though, I know that here the fastest pipe out of town is around an OC3 grade fiber connection. though my knowledge of Wan links is a smidge dated, I havent been around the bleeding edge of Wan for a year or so. But I woulnt think that OC3’s would have come down to a reasonable price yet. At least thats what i know of Wan stuff, It just seems to be highly unlikely that anyone on this forum has access to a full 100Mbps connection, i doubt that this forum’s webserver has that much bandwidth.

I am just frusrtated by people who think that their internal network speed is the speed of their uplink to the internet.

some food for thought :

the last one has a list of rates on a lot of things, in the middle is Wide Area Network speeds, showing the speeds of common internet links

In America all the major players are about to roll out incredibly fast Internet for everyone. Right now, both cable and DSL are shared connections within a certain area. Cable companies are about to roll out the same speed that goes to those switches to individual houses. Basically, it’s going to be your house connected through fiber-optic lines to the central hub as a backbone to the Internet directly to the Internet. Synchronous Gigabyte+ Wan is going to be the standard very soon. The infrastructure is already being put into place and all of the big players are and have been gearing up for it. The “everything on-line” paradigm is here. PC’s and TV’s as you know them are going to gradually go away as the “digital standard” enters.

just remember that most internet companies says Mb (MegaBit) not MB (MegaBytes).
What a clever confusion trick. I’m deaf but i have a hearing aid and i’ve noticed how my commercial says MB differently than i though it should so i caught another of the same commercial and listened real hard and so that how i found out about the Mb and MB trick. 8 Mb is equal to 1 MB. So that mean the theoretical 6 Mb speed (my connection speed) would actually be more like 768 KB (KiloBytes) which is around my usual download speed that i’ve tested by downloading a large files like a linux distro and looked at the downloading speed at the firefox download window.
You are both right and wrong.

If you look at it this way, you are wrong:
One megabyte = 1024 Kb
One megabit = 1000 Kb

If you look at it this way, you are right:
I have a 1.8 Mbit connection, but that doesn’t say anything about the download speed, which is rarely over 200 Kb/s.

Yeah i forgot to keep the mega off it.
1 Megabyte = 1024 Kilobytes 1024 x 1024 = 1048576 bytes x 8 = 8388608 bits
1 Megabit = 1000 Kilobits 1000 x 1000 = 1000000 bit

as you can see the megabit are still 8.388608 times lower than a megabytes.

Lukus: I know that the Megabit is the official name for the size sets. What i was talking was how the commercial seems to take advantage of how most average joe doesn’t know the differences between bit and bytes. And this is what i’ve meant by confusion tactic, My roommate had planned to get a internet connection and saw the commercial (they r deaf so they didn’t hear the differences between megabyte and megabit (they didn’t even know that there was bits)) They though that they was getting a reallly fast connection luckily they had talked to me about it since i know alot more about computers than them and i explained about the bit and bytes. they was pretty suprised cause they wanted a really fast connection for their Videophone ( www.sorenson.com ) I had them let me put the internet connection under my name so if there was a issue i could deal with it (plus i was a first time subscriber to this company and took advantage of a special they had here) Luckily it was just fast enough for the videophone even when the internet was hooked up with 2 other computer and occassionally a laptop.

Heh, I learnt something new today. I thought you were kinda wrong, but I googled around a bit and found this:

How Do We Get Out Of This Mess?
As a rule, always measure the speed of the Internet in terms of bits-per-second. If you see a speed listed in terms of bytes-per-second (or using an abbreviation with an uppercase “B”), multiply this number by 8 to convert to bits-per-second. If your browser reports a file downloaded at 150 KBps, you’ll know this is 1200 kbps, or about 1.2 Mbps—a respectable speed by any standard.

If you really want to be precise, however, nothing beats the do-it-yourself approach:
Grab a watch with a second hand.
Find a big file on the Internet you haven’t downloaded before.
Time how long it takes to download the file.
Take a look at the file on your hard disk and see how large it is (in Megabytes or MB).
Multiply the file’s size by eight to convert it to Megabits (or Mb).
Divide the result from step 5 by the number of seconds it took to download the file, yielding an average download speed in Megabits-per-second (or Mbps).
Multiply the result from step 6 by 1.1 to compensate for overhead added by various Internet protocols.
If you want to convert this speed to kilobits-per-second (kbps), you can do so by multiplying the result from step 7 by 1024.

I have 1856/384 kbps down/up ADSL, according to my modem, for 55 USD a month. A 24/1.2 mbps connection (13 times faster down, 3 times faster up) can cost 80 USD (45 % more), so I’m not getting the most per dollar, but up until last September, I think, I had ISDN, so I’m happy.

My broadband plan is 1Mbps/month and when i check my speed form here it shows
Download Speed:1.09Mbps
Upload Speed:0.87Mbps
and http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ predicted
my above Speed Test Result…is this fair?

I get 25MB down and 1MB up for $30 from Time Warner Cable here in Upstate NY.

Hughes net (satellite).
downloads are fast but uploads are a quarter slower.

My net’s speed keeps fluctuating but its 14 Kbps down (could reach 40 or drop to 0) and 1.04 Kbps up (10-0). And I pay 1$ monthly for this stupid mobile net capped at 1 GB.

Nowadays the ADSL of many countries have been improved a lot! The situation like yours are pretty rare now! I suggest you to contact with the service provider for more information! No hesitation to do this!

And you guys think the OP cares after 5! years?