internet in ubuntu , how ?

how can i use the internet in ubuntu

i have installed it today , <i’m on xp now by the way>

so , where do i go to use the firefox there ? , i mean i want to connect to the internet not use the ff itself .

to which menu have i to go ? to enter the password and the user id .

how do i find the motheboard’s integreated network card driver for ubuntu ? :frowning:
please help … , thanks

If you have a winmodem, you are probably out of luck. An external modem would be better.

i have an external modem.

Hello
if you’ve an ethernet card (even integrated), use it, with Linux it’s a breeze?
Don’t have one or can’t use it? Well, now it depends, could be very easy or very hard?!
Use windows to get the PRECISE name of the “chip” and the “vendor/brand” too?
Then, search the net if your card it’s officially supported ( probably the driver its already inside the kernel), or if you must install some drivers or use the win ones with NDISWRAPPER.
Then search the Ubuntu forums how to connect, quite easy in a normal situation!
Bye

Are you on dial up , DSL or CABLE?

if you are on DSL or cable, you need to run a program to detect DHCP.
Once it detects it, it will configure everything for you automatically.

look in the gnome start menu , I think it is listed as network setup, or something like that… the official thing you are trying to accomplish is called DHCP…

hope that helps…

If you have a IRC client , try :
irc.freenode.net
and
#ubuntu

you can get real time help…

hope that helps, I am on a windows system right now, otherwise I could be more descriptive.

Does Firefox connect to the Internet?

hey,
if this is your new laptop, you might want to try the XUbuntu… it is great for systems with 512 megs and under. Rather than gnome it uses XFCE, which is based on GTK…

If you plan on using gimp, the GTK will have to be in memory anyway… why not have a windows manager that uses GTK too… makes every thing more efficient :smiley:

after you get more comfortable in linux in GNOME or KDE, you might want to give Xubuntu a try :slight_smile:

on most systems Xubuntu boots in about .25 of the time as its bloated parents.

DSL

ADSL .

thanks all .

hey,
if this is your new laptop, you might want to try the XUbuntu… it is great for systems with 512 megs and under. Rather than gnome it uses XFCE, which is based on GTK…

If you plan on using gimp, the GTK will have to be in memory anyway… why not have a windows manager that uses GTK too… makes every thing more efficient :smiley:

after you get more comfortable in linux in GNOME or KDE, you might want to give Xubuntu a try :slight_smile:

on most systems Xubuntu boots in about .25 of the time as its bloated parents.

posted-suync accident :slight_smile: . soa another post .

ok , what is the main feature of each one , it’s not for the laptop , the laptop didn’t arrive yet :frowning: . , but soon :slight_smile: .

I prefer KDE for Luxury, If you are used to the window XP way of doing things you will be right at home “out of the box”, Later you can tweak it to be very much like mac OSX or, just tweak it to your own flavor… KDE is based on QT so you will need lots of library’s to run it. Use Kubuntu if you want this by default.

Gnome is based off GTK and some other stuff… They have a nice clean interface, and is the default windows manager of ubuntu. it too can be customized to look very nice. like KDE it needs lots of resources to run.

XFCE is based off the Gimp’s GTK, it is very minimalistic, I suggest using the Rox filer! for your file browser . If you run GIMP for your photo editing, this is a great windows manager to use.XFCE + ROX filer, makes for a very sweet setup.
Xubuntu will give you this by default.

you can install all of the above windows managers, no matter what ubuntu you pick. Just use aptget later on …

My personal favorites are:
IceWM---- all the goodness of windows 95 and only sucking up 30k of ram :smiley:
Enlightenment— more whistles and bells, but is still much smaller then KDE or Gnome.
Fluxbox— If you could abreviate the word minimalistic, you could describe fluxbox.
In windows systems, I will use the Free, BBLean, BB4win, or XOBox , which are all compatible with the unix cousins styles which dictate the look :slight_smile:
The windows fluxbox clones also give lots of the linux functionality to windows too.(multiple workspaces, can pin windows to all workspaces, shading windows, translucent windows, and much more if you want to add all the modules)

well anyway… have fun in linux, there is a lot to discover and explore :smiley:

There is an entire ROX desktop… but last time I checked , the ubuntu apt repository did not have it.
http://roscidus.com/desktop/

just do a :
sudo apt-get install rox-filer
or search for ROX in synaptic…

you can read more about rox filer there.

The nice things about rox I like:

When you are in any folder, press control 0-9 ,and it will remeber that folder in slots 0-9.
So to recall a favorite folder, like your desktop, or your current project, or your texture folder, just open a rox window and tap the number keys 0-9!!

if you have image magic installed you can have lightning fast thumbnails of not only images, but text files will be rendered as thumbnails too… PDF files and lots more formats than windows XP or vista covers with their thumbnails.

Rox will auto resize,so filders with only 1 or 2 files in it, are tiny, or when you come into a huge folder of textures, it will make a huge window .

Lots of fun :smiley:
I would give anything to have ROX in windows :smiley:

Mmph! keep it simple, 3DGURU hasn’t even got the internet working on Ubuntu. Going into that stuff will only get him confused.

Your ADSL is it USB?

Without more details, ie make of the modem, connection types etc. Cant really help you.

XFCE is based off the Gimp’s GTK, it is very minimalistic,

XFCE might be minimalistic but its proven that it can use more RAM than KDE or Gnome with the standard set of packages(word processor, e-mail client etc). Cause most packages use either Qt or GTK+ & so more libraries are having to be loaded into RAM.
So unless you do some serious searching & are willing to sacrifice some features found in the more mature programs or total programs cause there is no minimalistic equivalent. It’s best to stick with KDE or Gnome. :slight_smile:

XFCE might be minimalistic but its proven that it can use more RAM than KDE or Gnome with the standard set of packages(word processor, e-mail client etc). Cause most packages use either Qt or GTK+ & so more libraries are having to be loaded into RAM.
So unless you do some serious searching & are willing to sacrifice some features found in the more mature programs or total programs cause there is no minimalistic equivalent. It’s best to stick with KDE or Gnome. :slight_smile:

I agree, but if you are just running blender +gimp + some windows manager like ROX , it will be much less bloated than KDE or GNOME.

…dude, does you have direct access to A MODEM…AT ALL…? If so, simply use your ethernet port to connect to it, click on the Firefox Browser which just so happens to be located in plain sight on the main BAR (you know, the one with the little red circle that looks like FIRE), and you’ll instantly have internet. Ubuntu is a hacking OS, it’s MADE to hack, therefore getting internet connection comes primeval to it.

Not to sound mean in ANY way, just open your eyes there, if you have direct access to it you get it automatically, if you’re working off of a wireless access, then simply ADD the wireless connection, give the exact name and password for it, and bam, you’re in. no problem. Any more questions?

If you can’t find it, then just look around in all the available files in Ubuntu, you should be able to find it, any dummie can. If you screw anything up, then you can do this really cool thing called “reinstall” Ubuntu. No problem, no harm done, nothing.

There ya go!

God Bless and In Him,

Eric Wright

I think this means he wants to have internet without Firefox.

I think he means to use Internet Explorer.

But I’m not sure. I can’t really understand him well.

:|…why on God’s green earth would anyone want to use IE? It sucks, it’s nearly completely useless, except for the site which REQUIRE it, there’s really not use or need for it. FF is better than it in every way possible. Whatever, if he wants to use IE all he has to do is download the browser from their site. It’s retarded though, his questions, even if this is his want, IE and FF are nothing more than browsers, internet access in Ubuntu is as easy to get as installing Ubuntu in the first place.

CD