Interstellar Black Hole (Gargantua)

I don’t know what math genius you need to be to figure out gravitational lensing, but that, sir, is a real tool. I probably won’t be able to use it very often, but you’ve pushed blender to the edge of Hollywood’s CGI abilities. Well freaking done. =)

P.S. The actual accretion disk looks epic as well. Keep it up!

1 Like

@Alex_K It would be much better if you’d ask before actually using it, but, no problem - you can use that pic. Glad you liked it :slight_smile:

P.s Here is an article where you can find some details.

it still is awesome especially after i watched interstellar! nice to see the work behind it, i dont user blender cycles cause is use thea render. Im limited in some aspects but i really digg this scene!!!

Big respect how you pulled this off. Im pretty interested how the makers of interstellar would react to your scene as you did it as a one man show and they put a whole team on it for months :slight_smile:

1 Like

rombout, thanks but i tend to disagree with your last statement. I don’t think my effort could be compared to interstellar’s team effort. I put few polygons with refraction shader, they wrote a renderer from a scratch right for production use. Man, they even simulated accurate lens flare for the film. That’s really beyond any comparisons. They’ve showed the world for the first time how the real black hole could look like, and i’m just sitting here… pushing buttons :wink:

2 Likes

But you are pushing all the right buttons man. This render is fantastic, very eyecatching.

If i were to describe it in one word, it would have to be “enchanting”

1 Like

Here’s an article explaining how the original rendering of the black hole was deemed to be too confusing for audiences, so they altered it a bit.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26966-interstellars-true-black-hole-too-confusing.html#.VOPhO4XVMjg

Steve S

1 Like

No i mean more like that a single guy can do pretty ‘sort’ of the same :slight_smile:
You also let us see how it works and got a sick result, you even used a renderer which is there already.

But i believe theirs is not sort of faked right? Your version is, correct?

BlackRainbow , Oh no! Don’t think like that. Now it just picture on the site, I can change it any time. What I want that use it inside the game.

Dear BlackRainbow,

It’s possible that I have posted this same message on blendernation to the same person (you possibily). But I’m desperate. I’m Sandu from New Zealand. I really need to make a project similar to the one you have done here for my one of my uni papers. I have been reading about this and on many forums and I’m very very new to blender. Please, Is it possible for you for to provide the project file of this scene? so I can see how everything is done and make on own version of it? I know this is a long shot but is it possible for you to make a video tutorial for this? or send me a timestamps video and I could slow it down and watch it. I would support you anyway I can in the future if you help me. Thank you so much and I’m waiting for your reply.

Just a few sightings of my pics :slight_smile:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/astronomers-spotted-black-hole-21-233200237.html

1 Like

Wow great stuff! A tutorial or a time-lapse would be awesome.

The last pic, “the whool” is just a test with smoke sim. I needed to figure out how to distort noise texture (coordinates) with smoke sim density. Solution was quite simple but interesting for me. I had to just devide ones vector coordinates with another ones (mixRGB node, it works with vectors too :slight_smile: ). So it’s a good way to add details to existing smoke sim.[/QUOTE]

Can you please elaborate on what this means?

I added some tags, feel free to change them if you disagree.

Thanks man. Have not been here long time.

Lately, with the growing interest to new “Event Horizon Telescope” getting first ever picture of black hole, i stumble upon my picture quite often in articles. Gives me a nice feeling :sunglasses:

https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/2018-will-be-the-year-humanity-directly-sees-our-first-black-hole-c20a1429d3e2

3 Likes

Haha, I guess they’d get into more trouble using footage directly from the movie so they prefer to use what an indy artist made. I guess they didn’t ask your permission ?

1 Like

I got an email or two for a permission, but most of them just use it, most of the time with a credit as a movie still. I’m still ok with it, even glad my piece found a use. Would feel much worse if it would just gather dust on some portfolio website.

2 Likes

You a right to be glad that your art is being used but I think you shouldn’t be ok with journalists not asking for permission when you didn’t specify that your work was free to use and especially not when they pretend it’s from the movie, thus completely removing you from the credits. It’s nourishing the lack of consideration for indy artists and their work and If I were you I would’ve sent them a message to ask them to either credit you or even make a choice between paying you for using your art or removing it alltogether.
It may sound in your ear like you’d be the a***ole who wants to keep his art for himself but believe me, if you’re looking for a***oles, look at news publishers and info media in general. They almost never pay attention to whether a piece of art is free to use or not and they ““know”” the indy artists are either ignorant of their rights or too happy to see their work published somewhere or simply won’t dare to ask anything so they use whatever they want from them.
ping! (that’s the sound of my 2 cents)

2 Likes

This is a great job!

So, I am trying to reproduce these nodes now!

…However,they are too complex to be viewed well,so it is difficult to refer to. ・~・

So can you enlarge the image of those nodes,and divide and post it?

(I want those commentary if possible)

I’m sorry in translated English…
I will wait for your reply. :slight_smile:

this is absolutely beautiful, on the black hole it self try putting a slight reflective sheen to it and it is perfect

I was working on this in 2014, cant even find the right scene files. Since then I’ve worked on a (few) newer version though. This ones nodegroups are even bigger, based on a simulation (blender).

I could help you if you want any tips for workflow.

Link Link

3 Likes