Intimidated nOOb

Makes sense to be careful, I have never directly ridiculed anyones beliefs on this forum, merely tried to express my own. Don’t really see how that post could be considered offensive in any way, I’d appreciate it if you could tell me how it was, or what you objected to about it.

Forgive me for being a concerned atheist but what is exactly is that, a homeschooled Christian?

Can we be expecting self proclaimed Christian Suicide Bombers in Jerusalem?
Or White Power shouting Hitler smiley’s wearing brainwashed youngsters in our hit charts?

I think the latter was quite funny but we could do without the first bit.
P

I assume, since you’re also looking at learning CAD, that you’re thinking you’ll just do a quickie associates and get right into working at a drafting job earning the “big bux”, right? Take it from one who’s traveled that road: please, please, please get a full bachelor’s! Preferably in something respected, like Engineering or Architecture! If you want to do 3D, then great, but there are other aspects to your future & career than just the “cool stuff”.

Overview of my experience: went to a community college, got an A.S. in Drafting, got a CAD job thinking “this is cool!” - 13 years later, after if finally dawned on me that I didn’t have the credentials (or the people-skills - its not always what you know, but who you know that gets you ahead in a career) to move beyond just being the “CAD guy”, I had to go back to school and earn a B.S. Did this while working full time and with a family. Sucked, and I’ll be paying off the loans for a while (tho my company did help a little with $). Long-story-short: I’m now making roughly half of what others my age, who got their engineering (or whatever) degree, are making. For me to “catch up” (if that even happens) will take a miracle (which happens - sometimes :wink: )

Advice: don’t take the “lazy” road (not saying that’s your motivation, but it surely was mine at the time…). Do the work & time now, and it’ll pay off in spades down the road (when you - maybe - have a family of your own to feed, clothe, house, and educate…)

…just my $0.02

it sounded like you were trying to get him mad…i mean seriously…what is the purpose of asking him if you’re a heretic ? because if you really wanted to honstly know…according to the christian religion you would be…

but i think you already know he would say that hmm ?

so lets cut the playing stupid(unless your really just stupid…and then i apologize)

vliegtuig: dude…leave them alone ! seriously…whats the point of making fun of someone ?

its not like everyones saying that your atheism is non-provable

so just leave them alone.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7521044027821122670

:stuck_out_tongue:

Als ik me niet vergis, gaan ze niet naar school omdat religie verboden is in openbare scholen in Amerika. Dus krijgen ze thuis les, meestal van hun moeder of vader.

But anyway, as long nobody insulted you or hurt you, it best to treat everybody cordialy. I’m an atheist too, and I respect everybodies choice as long they respect mine.

Anyway, welcome to the wonderfull world of Blender. The video tutorials of Grey Beard should get you started fast. Just play aroung editing some meshes the first few days. You’ll find that you only need 4 or 5 hot keys to do realy decent modeling realy fast

=>mzungu

Thank you for the interesting personal story. I had been thinking about this problem in studies and had concluded a while back I would try and get a full degree in engeneering (except I am in Belgium ). It was good to have the point of view on the issue. Thanks

But anyway, as long nobody insulted you or hurt you, it best to treat everybody cordialy. I’m an atheist too, and I respect everybodies choice as long they respect mine.

Yes, whatever you believe is right for you

it sounded like you were trying to get him mad

Why would I be trying to get someone I have never met or had any previous contact with mad?

i mean seriously…what is the purpose of asking him if you’re a heretic ? because if you really wanted to honstly know…according to the christian religion you would be…

I weren’t actually asking if I was a ‘heretic’, I were just making a joke. Although, if you define a heretic as someone with unorthodox beliefs, then I have to admit I am.
Just wondering, but what’s your religious position? Did this annoy you personally? Is talk of religion to be avoided completely on this forum?
I admit that I may have inadvertedly sounded like I was challenging his faith, but I would never try to ‘alter’ someones personal beliefs, only open their mind to others (not that I was trying to do this here)
Also, aren’t most Chistians heretics? Everyone will interpret teachings in a slightly different way.
I only meant that as many had posted they were Christian, I was the ‘heretic of the topic.’ That last line doesn’t reallyt sound right to me, but I’m tired.
Okay, rant over for now :wink:

welcome to elysiun and have a nice stay! :smiley:

some basic rule to make your, and everyone else life easier:

read this: (common thread and poll, so you don’t make useless double post. Believe me, it’s better for your healt :wink: )
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39284

and this: (just some general info on how to behave on this forum so you don’t get flamed while you don’t know why!)
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36854

some general info:
-images are not allowed in signature on this forum, bandwith and cleaness reasons

-As pointed by others in this thread, it’s quite better to leave religious statement away. Not that opinions about religion are bad, but since alot of different people browse this forum, a statement about one religion or another can and will most likely hurt someone or another on this forum. So even tho you didn’t make any statement about catholics or anything like that, in my humble opinion, I thinks it’s better to keep any “religious” adjective away from your personnal description. What you wrote is far from being bad, but as a precaution, I think it’s better.

Anyway, I’m just pointing out those facts due to my long stay on this forum. I know how thigns usually turn :wink:

I hope you’ll have an awesome stay! and to quote an old blenderhead,
Blend on, and blend well!

well, ecks stated things rather nicely.

im done with this conversation :]

salutations and good luck with blender !

You’re killin’ me man! That was hilarious! (Except for when guys like this turn into the Bill Gates’ of tomorrow and end up ruling the world…)

@ Slèpnyrl: Thanks… I only want/hope/wish others can take such advice and not make similar mistakes by taking the “easy” road. You can be in CAL III and still party-hardy on the weekends, eh? College doesn’t have to be all work and no play, for sure, but your future, especially in the emerging global economy, critically depends on your success there (and more, but that’s a start…)

I assume, since you’re also looking at learning CAD, that you’re thinking you’ll just do a quickie associates and get right into working at a drafting job earning the “big bux”, right?[/quote]

Not really, but thanks for the advice, I’ll definately be thinking about getting a bachelor’s degree. I don’t really care about getting a job that gives the “big bux”, all I know at this point is that I definately want to be doing something in the engineering/science area (that’s what I love to do…). Ecks, thanks for the guideline pages, I didn’t think my mentioning that I was a Christian would inflame people that much. :-? Ok, now I know religion = pretty much off limits. Anyway, thanks for the posts everyone, is my new sig okay? (And if you don’t know what it says, you’re not a true Lord of the Rings fan.) :stuck_out_tongue:

Man people give the kid a break…you seemed to pick one phrase out of his introduction paragraph and went to town with it. LOTR junkie is your new sig orcish? I have no clue what it says but I used to be a big lord of the rings fan…but probably never as big a fan as you.

heh heh, I know what it says. And sh33p, I’m pretty sure its in Black Speech. I think orcish is derived from black speech or something.

You’re right. I read the origins of all that in the simarillion, but hey like Im going to remember all that. http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/b/blackspeech.html

I didn’t think my mentioning that I was a Christian would inflame people that much.

Sorry. It didn’t inflame me, Nehpets just misunderstood one of my posts. But seriously, welcome and happy Blending :smiley:

I didn’t think my mentioning that I was a Christian would inflame people that much. :-? Ok, now I know religion = pretty much off limits.

It isn’t off limits at all. It hasn’t been for me anyway. Be who you are.

On the other hand it is spirituality, tempered with wisdom, that is easily entreated. There have been those who have professed a relationship with Messiah on this board who turned out not to be His followers. This became evident in their reactions to being slammed by secularists (who have a right here to voice their way also).

Anyway, welcome if you are a fellow pilgrim.

"…Upon this very ring which you have here seen held aloft, round and unadorned, the letters that Isildur reported may still be read, if one has the strength of will to set the golden thing in the fire a while. That I have done, and this I have read:

Ash nazg durbatulúk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
"

The change in the wizard’s voice was astounding. Suddenly it became menacing, powerful, harsh as stone. A shadow seemed to pass over the high sun, and the porch for a moment grew dark. All trembled, and the Elves stopped their ears.

“Never before has any voice dared to utter the words of that tongue in Imladris, Gandalf the Grey,” said Elrond, as the shadow passed and the company breathed once more.

“And let us hope that none will ever speak it here again,” answered Gandalf. "Nonetheless I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond. For if that tongue is not soon to be heard in every corner of the West, then let all put doubt aside that this ring is indeed what the Wise have declared: the treasure of the Enemy, fraught with all his malice; and in it lies a great part of his strength of old. Out of the Black Years come he words that the Smiths of Eregion heard, and knew that they had been betrayed:

One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the Darkness bind them
"

“Nazg” is “ring”, thus Nazgul, or Ringwraith. :slight_smile: