Iocarric (monster project)

Those holes in the skin are for the armor plates to grow out of, since they’re bones they need to connect from the skeleton to the outside.

Good evening all. Another summer has begun, which means the infinite treadmill of schoolwork bogging me down and keeping me off Blender has receded, and I can FINALLY return to this project. I’m happy to say I finally finished sculpting the skin of the Iocarric, with the 3rd sculpting pass (scales) now complete. From here, it’s on to materials (although there is a chance I will need to adjust the sculpting based on the success of a texturing technique I have planned). Behold the turntable:

I also modeled the rest of the teeth for this beast so I could sculpt the inside of the mouth:

Hope y’all like it!

Attachments

I for one hope you can finally complete this thing, I can hardly believe it’s been that long since it was started.

It will look really nice with textures, shading, and lighting (especially if it’s done in Cycles), my only suggestion is to try to not leave us hanging for another year :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’m pretty sure I’ll have time to finish this summer. :yes:

New update here. I made some adjustments to that test material I posted earlier and applied it to the mesh, and got all the details looking fine 2 subdivisions lower than the final sculpt. (I also made sure I followed Andrew Price’s latest obsession with PBR shaders and integrated some fresnel. :p) Here’s the test render:

I’ll texture paint it as soon as I can, but otherwise I’d call the scales material mostly finished.

Very interesting project, I will pay attention.

Just a quick texture painting update to give y’all an idea of what’s happening:

I should be finished with the whole texture in a couple days.

Whoops, sorry for lying. I forgot about how busy I was this summer, and I had nearly 2 weeks without access to my computer or Blender. But nevertheless, I have finally finished the skin texture. Here it is:

I will sadly be busy for the next week and a half or so, so don’t expect too many updates.

I put together some materials for the teeth and mouth area:

Let me know what you think!

Before I start sculpting the armor, I modeled yet another head adornment for the Iocarric—this time it’s more like a pair of antlers. Let me know if y’all like these better than what I had before: