Irl curtains system

hello,
i made a curtain with physics (cloth) in Blender, and would like to bake an animation of the curtain opening and closing.

how i set the curtain up:
each of the holes in the curtain (the ring of selected vertices you see) is hooked to each separate object (each ring, or, hoop) - if you look at the modifiers you’ll see i set up each hoop to each curtain hole.

i started from this

played the timeline, and manually rotated the rings, and pulled each ring closer to each other, and ended up with this.

pretty straightforward for a static curtain.

but now i’d like to go a step forward and bake an animation from the image above to the curtains being closed. how they are they would be considered “open”.

so my question is:
how do i go about setting up a system where, if i pull on one of the edge hoops, the others move along as well, when the cloth reaches it’s max stretch, between each hoop?

so that when i, again, play the timeline, i can simply pull the curtain closed, by the edge hoop, and everything else works like in irl, where the curtain doesn’t stretch beyond it’s physical capabilities, but instead pulls all other hoops?

what can i use (modifiers, etc) to achieve this?
thanks in advance

You did keep an original without the bunching? or at least have it keyframed fully open?

Take a look at this…

hello RSEhlers
i haven’t looked into shape keys, but the video you posted (and other topics i’ve so far found), none of them realistically animate the curtains.

most of the stuff i’ve seen is a deformation; all hoops move regardless of contact between the hoops when opening the curtain.

You’re describing physics. So, by making a more complicated simulation. The entire system here would have to be described by physics. And you’d need more than you’re showing-- you need at least a rod, to physically hold the hoops.

In reality, it is the tension of the curtain that moves the hoops. But in Blender, it would be difficult to include rigid objects in a cloth simulation.

Likewise, rigid body physics isn’t good for torus shapes-- it’s not great when you have to rely on concave collision.

You could try with rigid bodies, using enough substeps to deal with concavity problems, and using rigid body constraints such that each rigid body maintains a maximum distance from the other; you could, alternatively, simulate the nature of the collision by abstracting everything to sphere collision bodies sitting inside a big “box” of 6 cuboids.

You could also use a cloth or softbody string of vertices to do essentially the same thing.

But in reality, doing this is a lot of work for nothing. Doing it by hand, like you’ve been doing, is easier than setting up a physics system to do this.

3 Likes

2023-06-11 00-03-30.flv (4.2 MB)
my Blender is haunted…

i’m finding it, that cloth and rigid bodies don’t like to play nice with each other.

i used object constraints attached to all the hoops, and limited the distance between each loop, before the next loop moves as well. works pretty well when closing the curtain.

but turning the hoops into rigid bodies so they can fall on the rod just trashes the cloth around.

the haunted example is a simple plane cloth with a hole in.

you’re right, it’s easier by hand - i just would like to have a physics based curtain so i can play with the position of the curtains.

thanks for the suggestions and info regarding physics and rigid bodies @bandages