Iron Dragon

(purbosky) #1

Entry for monthly challenge on CGBoost with the theme ‘ancient robot’. Went with the concept of a robot dragon and several medieval knights ‘playing’ with it in a dungeon. Had the idea of some treasure in the background but discarded it, felt too complex and used a glowing/burning lava ground things instead.

Made with Blender v2.79, rendered with Cycles 256 samples + denoising. Color correction and effects done with GIMP. Plating textures on the dragon is using procedural texture, rock texture is from
TextureHaven and FreePBR. Used Rigify add-on for posing the knights.

Clay render, viewport and dragon model close-ups :

Bonus image :

:grinning:

6 Likes
(ClarkusMarkus) #2

LOVE the design of the dragon.

1 Like
(purbosky) #3

Thanks! :grinning:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #4

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like
(Ace Dragon) #5

The Dragon looks wonderfully complex and looks like something the Azteks would’ve built if they had the type of technology found in Star Wars.

Though I would argue that the less cheats in the lighting you can get away with, the better (which makes it easier to have nice specular reflections for starters).

(purbosky) #6

Oh, many thanks, @bartv ! :smiley:

1 Like
(purbosky) #7

Thanks! Who knows, they might already had their own Star Wars-ish movies back then. :grinning:

Well, I think sometimes some effects had to be faked instead of relying solely upon environment lamps, hdr, etc. to highlight certain parts or to emphasize emotion/feeling, but yeah, having it on the actual render would really help. Kinda going back and forth setting up the lighting in an enclosed scene like this, might still not too good btw.