Is a 64 core opteron system over kill

Dear Blenderheads,
I am looking to purchase and build a new system, for blender…
The main OS would be ubuntu/debian…(I don’t feel the need to purchase a license for windows)
The purpose is to be a long lasting all rounder…
The gpus would likely be an AMD card sisnce they are good for opengl performance(correct me if i am wrong on this)…
and im likely going to buy new ram for the system on a monthly basis…

The SPECS:
TYAN S8812WGM3NR MEB

6370P/ AMD Opteron 6272

AMD r9 280x/7970…(and for eyefinity)

Cooler Master HAF 932

and then the usual suspects…

Would this type of system be overkill for blender/video editing(kdenlive rendering)…

OR

should i just settle with pc upgrade i.e.

msi 870a fuzion to Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

1055t to 8350

casecom case to raven rv03…(my dream case)

so you buy an AMD card and immediately rule out GPU rendering with cycles hmm okay

I should be getting a Gainward gtx 780 6gb…

for my original system below …

should upgrade current system(the one in my signature) or build a 64 core system…

Be a bit careful with opterons. A 64 core opteron actually has only 32 fpus. So in counting cores for heavy numerical stuff like rendering, divide the number of cores by two before comparing to an equivalent intel cpu. This still leaves opterons cheap compared to xeons, but on a core for core basis, intel is just better. Note that I actually talk from experience here, although not with blender but with finite difference time domain simulations. I own a 32 core opteron workstation for those simulations and if I allocate less then 10 cores to a phd student, he/she will actually prefer to run on their own 4 core intel pc except when there are memory constraints.

Actually, to be a bit more blunt than Physics Guy, that system would be a colossal waste of money. Just check out some benchmarks:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/multi_cpu.html

It seems like you prefer AMD but right now they are just not a good pick for 3D work, neither the processors nor the graphics cards. Get something like an 4930K and a GTX 780 with a quality mainboard and power supply and 32-64 gig of ram and you will have a top of the line workstation from consumer parts for ~2000$. Or if you decide you really need pro-level equipment go for a dual Xeon setup. But whatever you do, don’t buy AMD.